Mandarin & Wood Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaKid, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Mandarin & Wood Ducks ,
    Has any1 bought from Murray Mc Murray on
    there mandarin ducks or wood ducks are there good quality …….not show quality …. But average quality farm/pet quality I’m looking to get some as pets not for show , what’s your input……. or should I buy from a breeder and not a hatchery....................TALK TO ME ..............

ALAN

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Hoping someone will have some better info for you soon. My thought would be that McMurray seems to be an okay resource if you aren't looking for show. It seems as if you couldn't go too wrong with Mandarin's and wood ducks as they are pretty unique. I've never heard anyone complain about health, just more about their ducks fitting the 'ideal' standard. But obviously it would be good if you had a bit more input so hoping you get other replies.

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    There really isnt show quality or pet quality wild ducks....sure some will look better than others and there is a standard of what they look like, but as long as you give them food a nice place to live and fresh clean water, almost any mandarin or wood duck will look great. Plus, a lot of people dont show wild ducks as much as the others because they take a lot of work to get them used to cages that small.

4. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Most folks are disappointed when they purchase Mandarins or Wood ducks as pets thinking they are going to be like a domestic duck. They are both very skittish and need the extra room of a large pen or aviary.

As for "show quality", like 1lpoock said, give them proper food, protection, water and care and their plumage will be show quality no matter what you paid for it.

I have always thought that Mandarins and Wood ducks are way overpriced. Both are pretty common and you should be able to find either under $60 a pair. Start by looking locally near you, either at poultry shows/auctions or try putting a want ad in your local Craigslist in the farm and garden section. Shipping birds is expensive. Keep in mind that if you purchase Wood ducks, you may be required to have a permit to keep them depending on where you live. Mandarins are not a native bird and do not require a permit.

Below is a photo I took last year of one of mine.

giffy
    --------------------------

[​IMG]

5. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I just bought a pair of mandarins from a reputable breeder. They should be here in a few days... keeping fingers crossed. I had considered buying a pair from a hatchery, but they were over priced. I'd recommend you buy them from a good breeder. If you need a few suggestions for breeders, I've got lots bookmarked.

6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I love that picture giffy....just wondering, do your ducks fly around and perch on branches a lot because I've had mine in the aviary for 4 days now and I have yet to see one fly to a branch that they couldnt reach by just hopping up on it...all they do is hang out around the pond?

7. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    In a new pen, which by the way looks great, it will take them time to get comfortable to their new surroundings.

giffy
    ------------------------

8. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I too, would not recommend getting Mandarins as pets. They are a wild duck and even though they may get use to you being around most will never tame down like a domestic duck. I do enjoy mine but they are in a fully enclosed pen and I just watch them from a distance. I do enter their pen daily to feed them but I do it very slowly and try not to make any sudden movements to scare them. Mine do fly around their pen landing in their pool or on branches but it did take awhile for them to get comfortable enough to do that.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide! [​IMG]

9. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    thanks for all the infor. ya'll.

giffy
    In a new pen, which by the way looks great,

Thats I seen ur's and I really it ,thats why and it seems that you and others know what they like and what there needs are to make them as safe and happy living in a large pen or aviary ,which is why I building mine this year for next year (spring) for the new comers.

1lpoock
    how about posting a pic of ur aviary really would like to see ur's also

Ducks-R-Us
    I too, would not recommend getting Mandarins as pets

the reason why I said pets is that it seem that there are some that are breeder on here and say to us that keeping pets like this is not or ????? that they are breeders or people that show there birds and care for there's anamials ,meaning ducks, chickens, turkeys, and/ or etc. better or what ever there thinking, I into keeping and raising all sort of pets for years indoors and now out doors, I for one take and keep my pets /anaimals just like my own kids and family,giving them the best care, housing, food, etc. I not trying to give or say that ur wrong in what ur saying and you are giving me your input on what you feel and thanks for that, I know the breeds I'm thinking on gettting are wild type ducks and not a domestic duck and need need more care then domestic but there are a beauitful duck.

again thanks for all the infor. and suggestionthe reason why I stated hatchery birds like Mc Murray is they have some for sale now , I know I bougth some chickens and turkeys from them before as was healthy but did see that some of the off-spring where not true breed which I have read that befor about some hatchery, but like I stated I'm in for personal keeping and raising ,not for showing or breeding for sales, thats why I said pets .

again thanks for all the infor. I just want to keep my birds as healthy and safe and get the infor needed by others that are already are doing, becuse the books that I read are only good for the basic , keepers like ya'll are a better to learn by.

well it off to finishing building my duck breeding boxies for the aviary

Alan​

10. smartlittleroo

smartlittleroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Giffy, what a neat looking duck! Very Handsome!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway... can mandarins be kept in the same area as regular domestic ducks? Can they co-exist or do they get along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by