mandarine eggs

Johndale

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
im getting some mandarine eggs and wanted to know if their easy to hatch? and when i hatch them if their easy to get started?

Hi, I've raised a few Manderins and I strongly suggest that you use a broody hen instead of an incubator. I think most every one who has Mandys will say that the mother duck, followed by a broody hen is the best way to incubate them. You can try an incubator and maybe you'll get lucky, but don't hold your breath. My humble opinion.

Quote:
I have raise tons of them , and he's right, all wild strain of waterfowl are far harder to hatch and rear than domestic, thus the high prices. If you are a pro and very diligent with your waterfowl incubation practices, you will be fine, if not, use a hen!
Also, as far as getting them started, a high protien starter is a must, if they are reluctant to start eating, put a chick in with them or add a few live meal worms to their food. This teaches them what FOOD is as they dont know at birth.
All in all, they are one of the easier of the wild type ducks to raise as are wood ducks, but do require special attention to get started.
If you get them past a week or so old, you got 'em whipped then.
Good luck, they are geogious birds
Aubrey

Last edited:
There is a ton of information on the web about Mandarin ducks and Yahoo has two excellent groups pertaining to Mandies and Woodies. Aubrey is right on the money with the baby chicks too. I always use chicks or even turkey chicks to start the Mandarins. Last year I hatched 43, both normal and white, but lost about 50 due to nest dumping and to ducks not going broody. Hope to resolve this problem with a couple of silkies this year. Even though I have a Sportsman incubator, I never used it for the Mandarin eggs. Another thing, NEVER use medicated chicken feed for them. A good poultry starter, for chickens AND ducks, some very finely chopped spinach, even a chopped up boiled egg, and small mealworms are a great way to start the Mandarins. Don't let them get wet, but provide water near, but not too close to their food and keep them warm w/o drafts. Now, I have mothers hatch them and they jump right in the pool and swim and dive like little pros, but if the mother duck does not incubate them, it is not good to get them wet right off the bat. Good luck with the eggs! Bob (central Florida)

Good point Bob,
I forgot to add that.
The mothers oil water proofs the ducklings, but without her, they'll
get soaked and chilled. Also for got, you are right do not give wild type waterfowl medicated starter! Thanks for catching that!
Hey Bob, would love some white mandarins or plan for that matter if you get some this spring! Please keep my info and let me know what you end up with.
Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom