Mandarins and Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scott, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Has anyone had any problem keeping mandarins and call ducks together. I currently have four white call ducks. I ordered a pair of mandarins this week and plan to put that pair with the calls. I'm assuming these to breeds will coexist peacefully.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am getting my mandarins tomorrow and that's exactly where mine are going, in the call enclosure with 6 calls. The breeder said it shouldn't be a problem. Depending on the male/fe ratio there could be issues this spring that may have to be dealt with. I am under the impression and the mandies and the calls won't crossbreed. But you never know.
    Where did you end up ordering the mandies from?

3. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I had my Mandarins with my Calls when I first got them and they did get along just fine even though they kept in their own groups. I never did see any fighting, most of the time the Mandarins would just get out of the way of the Calls. The Calls were never aggressive towards the Mandarins. I eventually got a few more Mandarins and built a new pen just for the Calls, so now I have 9 Mandarins living together in one fully enclosed 8 X 24 pen and they seem real happy.

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Mine get along just fine.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I keep all of my ducks together in the fall/winter. They are mandarins, call ducks, a pair of pekins, and 2 muscovies. I have never had a problem with the madarins and call ducks together. In fact, the call ducks seem to have tamed down the mandarins quite a bit since I first got them.

6. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    I've got them in with my calls and a pair of ring teals. No problems.

7. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Good to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by