Mandarins and wood ducks!! Updated with my pics now!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Matapatos, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Matapatos

Matapatos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    I am in the process of building a pen with the intent of having wood ducks and mandarins. I would like to see pics of your pens and if you have any suggestions, pointers on what to make sure I have, I'd love to hear them! I'm new to raising ducks and I am so excited! The pen is 14'X23'. Thanks!!

I love seeing pics of these beautiful birds and their pens! Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My aviary is about 45x25. Inside I have 2 pairs of wood ducks, 2 pairs of mandarins and another male mandarin, a trio of calls, and a trio of saxonies. I used to have a lot more ducks in there but I sold them over the summer.

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I used a greenhouse frame with netting over the top and chicken wire on the ends, also there is two electric wires running around it to schock predators if they get too close. I have also seen other aviaries that are just a wooden frame. Just make sure you have the netting and a sight barrier with whatever style you go with.
    Here are few pics of mine if you havent seen them already...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bape91

bape91 New Egg

Aug 23, 2009
    Salinas, Ca
    wow that is a nice enclosure for you mandarin ducks, what do you feed them though because my pin does not look nearly as clean as yours does and i feed mine corn from purina mills..

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I just feed them a mixture of duck feed and cracked corn....i just put it in a small little trough

6. Matapatos

Jul 12, 2009
    Those look awesome! I actually did an archive search and saw some, but I never get tired of looking at these birds and the pens. Thank you for the pics. Other than the sight barrier, what else is a must have that the ordinary person wouldn't think of? Thanks again, in advance! I'll be posting up pics of how mine is coming along soon!

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I am starting an aviary which will include my black swans. About a year ago I saw a setup which was quite large for peafowl. What they used was an old satellite dish(umbrella style)bolted on top of 3 very tall 4X4's. This tower was place in the center of the large pen(I was huge,I wish I knew the measurements) with the top netting over it. There was also boards attached for roosts on the tower. I wish I had a picture of it. I will take a pic of mine when I get done with it. Just to give you another idea [​IMG]

8. Matapatos

Jul 12, 2009
    I have some pics to post up now, but I have no idea how to do it. Help?

9. Matapatos

Jul 12, 2009
    I'll try and add pics now... Here goes...

This is the pen, 14'X23'. Railroad ties as uprights, 2X6's for everything else. Its about 7' tall so it should be enough room to move around.
    [​IMG]
    The pond is ok sized, not huge but good enough for 3 or 4 pair of whatever I can get my hands on! I'll put nesting boxes on the log uprights facing the pond, I guess they'll be the coveted nesting boxes!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions? Thanks! I'm really excited to get this thing done and get some mandarins and wood ducks in there!

Travis

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Go to the uploads and after you upload them copy the link and then post it here. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by