1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mandarins ducks-how old when they lay for the first time?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlisa, May 7, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I've got 2 pairs of Mandarins...I got them last fall and they are almost a year I think. How old are they when they first lay eggs? I know the 1 nest box has been checked out and hollowed out a spot in, but there aren't any eggs yet. We're in NJ...and its just been getting nice and warm off and on since April. Nice (summery)Spring weather and then cold and wet(yuck!) again. If they are almost a year, would they lay this Spring or not?

Lisa

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    what i can find out out they should be pairing and and mating in may

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    chicken lisa . You wouldnt my any chance have any eggs for sale if they do lay would you ?? [​IMG]

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    When they do, I will. I'll want to keep some for them to set and hatch, but not all of them. I'll post if and when they start laying. Thanks for asking.
    Lisa

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Ok great il keep my eyes open for your post . I have been trying to get some and cant find them any where

6. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Lisa -

The 07 birds should lay this year and should start pretty soon!! Ours have just started laying in the last week, have had cold/warm/cold again spring here.

What type of nest boxes are you using?

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by