Mandarins getting along with other ducks and other general info?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Parrotchick, May 29, 2010.

1. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    Someobody near me is selling 2 week Mandarins. I have Pekins, Muscovies and some young Runners. How well will they interact? I do have a large covered pen and everyone is allowed out to free range when I'm around to supervise. I understand it's advisable to clip the Mandarins' wings. How well do they do in winter? And if I'm lucky enough to get a pair, does that mean the drake won't be eyeing my other females? Any tips on sexing at that age? And any general info you have would be helpful.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My mandies are in with my call ducks most of the time and they do not breed with the calls and the calls do not attempt to breed them. When I let everyone out to freerange, they are then exposed to the scovies, runners and khakis. No one bothers the mandies. My male is very aggressive with the other ducks if they get near so they don't. I got mine when they were 4 months old and you could already tell the male from the female. Their wings have been pinioned.

3. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    At one time, I had my calls in with my mandarins. They tolerated one another, but that was about it. They didn't particularly like one another and preferred to remain distant from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by