Mangum, OK law

Pye Wacket

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
So this is the pertinent part of what the law says:

3. A lot for authorized animals, properly fenced so as to contain the animal within the lot, shall be of sufficient length to contain six hundred (600) square feet of space. Not more than one-fourth (1/4) of the space in square feet herein indicated shall be used for the purpose of maintaining a shed or barn to house any animal that may be permitted under this section to be kept within the City limits.

4. The outside limits of any lot within which an animal is to be confined, and of the shed or barn, shall not and must not be located a distance any closer than fifty feet (50') from any residence or dwelling inhabited or intended to be inhabited by human beings, and the maintaining of the lot, shed or barn at any distance less than fifty feet (50') from the dwelling is expressly prohibited.

I'm having a hard time finding a property where I could legally place a coop and run. Does anybody in Mangum actually have chickens, and if so, how big is your back yard????

So this is the pertinent part of what the law says:

3. A lot for authorized animals, properly fenced so as to contain the animal within the lot, shall be of sufficient length to contain six hundred (600) square feet of space. Not more than one-fourth (1/4) of the space in square feet herein indicated shall be used for the purpose of maintaining a shed or barn to house any animal that may be permitted under this section to be kept within the City limits.

4. The outside limits of any lot within which an animal is to be confined, and of the shed or barn, shall not and must not be located a distance any closer than fifty feet (50') from any residence or dwelling inhabited or intended to be inhabited by human beings, and the maintaining of the lot, shed or barn at any distance less than fifty feet (50') from the dwelling is expressly prohibited.

I'm having a hard time finding a property where I could legally place a coop and run. Does anybody in Mangum actually have chickens, and if so, how big is your back yard????

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 12

So ... that IS a joke, right? Because I have never seen a front yard where it would be safe to put a coop, not inside a town where you can't put up (a) field fencing anywhere it can be seen and/or (b) any fencing at all taller than 2.5 to 3'.

Plus chickens in town, even where they are allowed (and particularly in a town like Mangum where it appears they've put an ordinance in place that only TECHNICALLY allows chickens inside city limits) are safest kept as stealthed as possible, which installation in other than the backyard just won't work.

Not to mention that front yards are even less likely to be large enough to conform to the already onerous ordinance requirements.

So you ARE joking ... right?

So ... that IS a joke, right? Because I have never seen a front yard where it would be safe to put a coop, not inside a town where you can't put up (a) field fencing anywhere it can be seen and/or (b) any fencing at all taller than 2.5 to 3'.

Plus chickens in town, even where they are allowed (and particularly in a town like Mangum where it appears they've put an ordinance in place that only TECHNICALLY allows chickens inside city limits) are safest kept as stealthed as possible, which installation in other than the backyard just won't work.

Not to mention that front yards are even less likely to be large enough to conform to the already onerous ordinance requirements.

So you ARE joking ... right?
Were you talking to me.?
Because I don't know what you're talking about. LOL
All I was trying to tell you is welcome to the site. LOL

Were you talking to me.?
Because I don't know what you're talking about. LOL
All I was trying to tell you is welcome to the site. LOL
'
Well I am also confused. You posted a picture of a chicken that said "Welcome to Backyard Chickens" and then in the corner it says "Where not every chicken is kept in the back yard".

So I assumed you meant I should put the coop elsewhere than the backyard, and in these days of practically no side yards, I thought that meant putting a coop up front.

'
Well I am also confused. You posted a picture of a chicken that said "Welcome to Backyard Chickens" and then in the corner it says "Where not every chicken is kept in the back yard".

So I assumed you meant I should put the coop elsewhere than the backyard, and in these days of practically no side yards, I thought that meant putting a coop up front.
And it Also said LOL
But, my rooster which is in the photo, is an indoor rooster. So he doesn't live in the backyard. LOL

And it Also said LOL
But, my rooster which is in the photo, is an indoor rooster. So he doesn't live in the backyard. LOL

Really? I don't see all that well anymore. I can hardly read the text on that picture at all on my tiny laptop screen that you have to look at JUST RIGHT or things fade out.

At any rate. I don't want pet chickens so keeping a chicken INSIDE the house is not in my bailiwick. Surely you enjoy yours and that's great. At least one municipality I was checking out SPECIFICALLY states that chickens, turkeys, ducks, and other fowl may not be kept indoors in living quarters. So ... not legal in at least some jurisdictions.

I just want some egg layers. I'm starting to think the folks in Mangum passed an ordinance that SEEMS to allow chickens in town, but really doesn't, just to shut the people pushing for it up.

And it Also said LOL

OK now I can see the LOL, LOL! I had to open the pic up and then move my head around a lot and wait for the little blurby thing identifying the picture at the bottom to fade out, then I could (finally) see it. I really need a new computer.

New eyes wouldn't hurt either.

OK now I can see the LOL, LOL! I had to open the pic up and then move my head around a lot and wait for the little blurby thing identifying the picture at the bottom to fade out, then I could (finally) see it. I really need a new computer.

New eyes wouldn't hurt either.
Did you even noticed that he is wearing a diaper. LOL

Did you even noticed that he is wearing a diaper. LOL

Nope. I thought that was a flannel baby blanket he was snuggling in to, LOL!

I'm of the livestock persuasion. It literally never occurred to me that was a diaper for a chicken. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom