mangy coyote (graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Primo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Lost three chickens Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Both days it was sometime between 4 and 6pm. I suspected a coyote or stray dog. My pit bull was in the yard with them Wednesday when it happened. So yesterday I came home early from work,hid in the bed of my pickup and waited. Sure enough at 5:15 pm I saw him approaching my yard. He circled my yard then settled behind some cedar trees watching my flock. He approached my fence to jump over and that was all she wrote.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Poor thing! I'm so glad you were able to put it out of its misery. I hate to see anything suffer - even coyotes.

3. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015

4. hatch08

hatch08 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Hamilton tx
    I would bleach your gun lol

5. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Ya, I had to lay the gun down to get my phone for the pic. Didn't want to lay on the ground. Hindsight I should have.
    I wound up donning some rubber gloves placing him in a trash bag and burning him in my burn pit (gloves too)

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good work! That's a very sad looking critter, so glad he's gone. We had a similar experience here two years ago, lost ten nice hens one agternoon to a mange sick fox. He also died soon after. Watch your dog for skin issues, in case he was in contact with that coyote. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by