Manna pro feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, May 27, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    TSC was out of flockraiser that I normally get for month old (roughly) ducks. So I had to pick something else. They were out of the purina chick feed and one other kind that I can't remember. SO I found a little bag of Manna pro gamebird/showbird kind. It is non medicated and I know that many on here feed their ducks gamebird feed to begin with. So yall think this will be okay?

And while I am at it the flockraiser bag on the back shows that at 18 weeks of age you are supposed to move them to the sunfresh layena I think it is called. Anyway, it is the layer feed for Purina but many keep them on fockraiser what would you recommend? I think it would be easier to move them to my brand of layer feed that I feed my chickens but what would this be best and what do ya'll think?

Thanks

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I believe, and you may want to check, that layer feeds contain too much calcium for non-laying ducks. It can be harmful until they are of laying age. If you are concerned about the high protien levels in gamebird feed, you could add some rolled oats to lower it.

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i was told feeding layer pellets is okay for non laying ducks. my drake eats it and oyster shell too lol [​IMG]

4. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    I've wondered about that with my chickens. I mean, how many people put out Rooster food seperate for their roo? [​IMG]

5. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i would imagine that being a bit hard unless they are separated lol

6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    LOL, yeah, and then the point of the rooster would be??? [​IMG]

To the OP, I hardly doubt that feeding one bag of either til you can get your normal feed is going to matter. I ran out of grower awhile back (thought I had one more, turned out to be the layer) and so fed the layer til I could get more. No biggie. [​IMG]

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I use this for new borns it isnt a layer it is a grower! It wont harm them at all, I love that feed for my ducklings they never feel thin and are very very healthy!

8. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i feed my ducklings purina mills game bird starter [​IMG]

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You can feed layer feed to basically any duck or any age. If you have laying females, they should be supplemented with free choice crushed oyster shell (if you have males or non laying ducks, don't mix it in the feed). The protien should be around 16-19%. If the protein seems a little high in gamebird feed, you can add cracked corn or oats to the feed to help cut the protein a little. Pro Manna is a good brand IMO. I don't use their regular feed, but I do get their Calf Manna and add it to the duck's feed as a supplement (and tasty tidbit) to their regular feed. If you switch brands of feed, I recommend mixing and blending the tail end of your old feed with some of the new feed. That way the ducks will get used to it easier (Sometimes ducks hate change and will boycott new feed, silly animals).

10. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    I started giving my ducks the Purina layer feed. The girl at the feed store told me the Purina Start and Grow was medicated (although the first time I bought it, the other person working there said it wasn't!! I can't find anything on the bag that says medicated or non) and according to Storey's Guide, at my ducks age (5 weeks and 6 1/2 weeks) they should have 16-18 or 19% protien. Since I'm not looking for maximum growth I went with the layer feed. I'm about a third of the way through the bag of layer feed and so far so good.

I have found food to be the most complex issure regarding ducks and that has suprised me LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by