1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Manna Pro (Non-Medicated Starter)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ichoudhury, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    To my pleasant surprise, I was rewarded with 3 beautiful orpington bantam chicks the other day (2 Days)[​IMG]. Previously, I pretty much gave up since these were shipped eggs and candling didn't give me very happy feelings.

At any rate, I was ill prepared and ran to a local feed-store the minute I had an opportunity (Its been a rough week for me, non chicken related) [​IMG]. My intention was to get some Purina non medicated chick starter which I used previously but unfortunately/fortunately came home with Manna Pro (Non Medicated). I looked for the ingredient and did not see any possible chance of hormone or anything, and appears to be a quality feed. Well, I have one complaint, I think the grain size is bit larger for my bantam chicks (as I notice they are constantly grabbing and dropping due to larger size). I am hopping they are getting enough. (I recall, I complaint last year for Purina starter grain size was too small, almost powdery except the top layer of the feed. Some people are never satisfied[​IMG]. I might grind them a bit if I notice they are not getting enough. They seems to be happy and run to inspect and try the food as I stir the food with my finger.

Anybody else have experience with Manna Pro Chick Starter?

Quote: *On a side note, I'm also started their water with organic vinegar right of the bat this time. I remember dealing with pasty butt last year and used the Organic Vinegar water to cure them, but this time, I started with it.

2. ichoudhury

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    I ended up finishing the batch and they are very healthy. In fact, I had worry about the size but as I dug deeper, there were grounds (in fact, some were too small for my liking) :) ..

Long story short, if I didn't have the 100% organic choice that I have right now, I would go with this Manna Pro (Non Medicated) version. According to the feed store, Manna Pro (Non-Medicated) one is organic but I found no reference anywhere in the web, so I would say it is "Quasi Organic" :)

At any rate, chicks love it (along with some Organic Vinegarized Water to drink) :)

3. I use MP but what is Organic water? isn't it all?

4. ichoudhury

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    Oh sorry, I meant Organic Vinegar Water. So I purchased the Organic Vinegar that you usually find at Health food store (I bought mine from Kroger's Health Food area) and add two table spoon of the vinegar with their drinking water (they seems to love it). I am a true believer as this has resolved "pasty butt' symptom in the past for me and this time, I didn't even see any symptom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by