manna pro organic layer feed and egg production?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by heiditam, Nov 13, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    I have only ever fed these girls manna pro's organic layer feed. My girls are anywhere from 22-28 weeks old. I have 4 red stars, a delaware mix, columbian wyandotte, and two barred rocks. I have yet to see an egg. I am starting to wonder if I should try another feed? I feed them the manna organic layer feed, scratch is a mix of red wheat berries, BOSS, millet, corn. I have free choice grit and shells in coop. Water available 24/7. They get sparing scraps of greens, and range a bit. Only one girl has a comb that looks really ready.

What is everyone's experience with manna pro organic layer feed and production?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How long have you had them? Often, with declining day length they take a bit longer to reach sexual maturity. So, they're really not that old.
    My only concern is how long they've been getting layer feed without producing egg shells.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    I got the red stars 5 weeks ago, from mcmurray. They were started pullets, so between 16-22 weeks old, so they should be 21-27 weeks old. I know that these girls lay earlier than most, so I am worried why they are not ready yet.

Other 4 I got off craigs list-I got some advice here as to their age, and I am putting them at between 24-27 weeks old.

Except for one red star, they all look to be the same age...

4. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Oh, so red stars been getting layer feed for 5 weeks, others have been getting it for about 10 weeks.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    10 weeks is a very long time for a bird not needing 4% calcium.
    The feed you've been giving them is a good quality food for those actively laying. I'd switch to a grower feed till the whole flock starts laying and once you get the first egg, make sure the oyster shell is always available.
    That may help them flush the kidneys for a while.
    If you're impatient, you can add a light on a timer to get daylength up to 13 or 14 hours. That should jump start them.

6. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks-I will switch to grower for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by