Mannerisms of my rooster. Is he expanding his flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Recently I posted a thread where I said I had 1 rooster and 23 hens. However, 15 of the hens are of mixed age and are all younger than my rooster. I posted asking why he has not mated with them and most people said when the hens lay he will start to figure it out.

This thread is about a little strut type thing my rooster is doing with the new hens. Some of the hens have started laying and I noticed he has been spending a little more time around them. Normally the 3 different age groups kept to their own mini-flock but the rooster is starting to take notice. Well, the move is hard to explain... it's like he walks up next to them and then does a quick shuffle and a half circle right up next to them... like he is rounding them up or something. I'm having a hard time describing it but maybe someone else recognizes what I'm talking about. Is this part of the potential mating process or a common rooster behavior? What does it mean exactly?

If that's too confusing I will attempt to capture it on video later and repost.

2. NoZolbitty

NoZolbitty Chillin' With My Peeps

I think its related to the courting dance keep watchin him we all might learn something

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    He probably is mating with them. You just aren't catching it crack open an egg and see if it is fertile.

4. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Yeah good idea, never did I consider checking their eggs. My biggest fear is that some of my hens are so tiny... 25 weeks old but probably weigh like... 3, maybe 4 pounds. I hope he doesn't damage them when mating. I have 24 chickens total. 9 1-year-olds, 7 6-month-olds, and 8 4.5-month-olds. They normally stick to their age group. I'm hoping my rooster will unite the three flocks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What breed is your rooster and hens. If he is a lot bigger, they may be able to get away. I haven't seen my marans rooster going after my D'Uccle hen.

6. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My rooster is a barred rock. He's pretty cool... big animal. He isn't afraid of anything either... I swear I have kicked him like a soccer ball 4 or 5 times.. I always get scared and worry that maybe I hurt my rooster but he is so ****** tough he always runs back for more. I wanted to get rid of him at first because of his attitude but I have kept him long enough I will just carry a bat from my house to car from now on. I just don't have it in me to get rid of my rooster, no matter how gnarly he is. I actually want another rooster. Such a vicious cycle!

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You don't realize how noisey they are until there are none in your yard. When I got rid of all mine. It was peaceful, but none that I got my marans crowing, I didn't realize how much I missed it.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is flirting with the pullets. It's his 'courting dance'. He is using his moves to impress them. If you want to add another rooster the best way would be to have one of your broody hens raise a clutch. By raising a rooster in the flock the dominant rooster will school him as to who is dominant from the get go. Introduce another mature rooster to your flock, and all hades will break out. Guaranteed!

9. Lisa chickens

Lisa chickens New Egg

Jan 19, 2012
    Kettle Falls, WA
    He is teaching them that he is the boss, and to have respect for him, that is his job, If he is courting them then he clucks for them to come over to him, like look i got you some food, he will also talk sweet to them and act like he wants to make a nest all the while talking sweet to them.

This for the one that has kicked the rooster 4 or 5 times,
    Get a new Rooster, being affraid is no fun and down right dangerous, plus having to be mean to your animals only makes them meaner. Nobody wins in this situation, I had a rooster that came at me a few times when I would deal with his hens, but gave him away and they absolutely love him and have had no problems. So do him and you a favor, give him away.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  10. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 Never stoop to a mean roos level. If you can tame him he is better served for dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by