Manners Question Mens Hats

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NYboy, Dec 6, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I was taught unless for religious reasons men removed their hats inside. I see more and more young men wearing hoods inside. Last night my 22 year old nephew visited,he came in my house wearing the hood from his hoodie. I thought it was very rude, and asked him to remove his hood while inside.He told me I was very old fashion and should get with the times!!! Is it now ok for guys to wear head covering inside?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most guys I know toss their caps and hoods in their car before going into a building, so some hat manners probably still live. Peers are in the 23-25 age range.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Call me an old fashioned prude but it is common decency to remove hats into a religious or court of law or something of importance. Men and boys, must do this but ladies do NOT remove their hats.

Respect is the word. "Get on with the times" my butt!

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Most of the men I know who wear caps don't remove them unless they're sitting down to eat or at church. And honestly, I don't see the difference...you're the same person and going to have the same table manners and same attitude in church, hat (or hoodie) on or hat off.

Then again, we need to conserve all the body heat we can for about six months of the year. [​IMG]

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Young person walks into my house with head gear on they will be asked if their head is cold once and then I remove said head covering...don't like it don't come back. My kids don't wear them and will not wear them. As things have changed some places have become more okay for hats to be worn...places of business unless very small fall into the category of wearing a hat is okay. Hats and meals will never be okay...I am confident my grandmother would appear and smack me so I ain't gonna try it...

Get with the times...no thanks...I like being debt free and not ruled by cadgets and keeping up with everyone else...

6. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I think you did the right thing. A few months ago, my husband approached a young man, and I mean a man in his early 30's or late 20's, not much younger than us, at church and asked him to please remove his ball cap that he was wearing cocked to the side backwards. He was a little offended as he had never been told it was inappropriate to wear hats inside. At first I thought I can't believe my DH did that! But you know he was right. Manners are so very important and the only way to learn them is to be taught them.
    So, kuddos to you! [​IMG]

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:I totally agree.

But ya know i go to a cowboy church and the only time anyone removes their hat is in prayer and the national anthum.
    I am in my 50's and i was raised to remove my hat for various reasons, now i just don't care, i would rather see that hat on a guy than the hat hair under it, course i am a girl and like hats keeps my long hair out of my eyes and still keeps my neck warm on them chill days.LOL [​IMG]

8. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Agreed, , its not okay for guys to wear head coverings inside (I doubt there is a "Church of the Hoodie"). Removing the cap should be done as well as when the flag in a parade passes by you.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Agreed, , its not okay for guys to wear head coverings inside (I doubt there is a "Church of the Hoodie"). Removing the cap should be done as well as when the flag in a parade passes by you.

Jewish men wear skullcaps indoors. I guess they probably wouldn't appreciate being called the Church of the Hoodie, though. [​IMG]

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by