Manual Turning on Shipped Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 6 days

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 5 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 4 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 3 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 2 days

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and leave them alone for 1 day b

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Set pointy end down in egg carton for 12-24 hours. Set in incubator and turn those eggers right away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. NONE OF THE ABOVE , I use a different method for manual turning! (if this is you, please post what

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!

Please be sure to vote on my poll on this thread, it will be a lot easier for me to count the votes that way. =D

I have about 10 different books here, as well as this amazing board of course...and several other internet sources.

That being said, I've also come across at least a dozen different "Turning" directions for shipped hatching eggs in a manual incubator!
    [​IMG]

It's a little late now, because mine are on day 5 now, but for my next shipment I would like to use the majority opinion.

Thanks!!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I just went through all that....uggggg MIND bogglin to say the least!!!
    You can see what we did/doing and alot of info on why we made the decision.... summary is in this article Hatching Eggs 101

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! Thank you for your contribution - going to go read it now! :)

4. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    This is what I am doing for my shipped eggs only.

I am using a foam egg carton that has a hole cut on the bottom of each egg holder (for air circulation). I set them upright, pointy end down. When I unpack them, I candle the eggs to check for damaged aircells and cracks. I number each egg (with a pencil on top) and then make a list of comments for each egg and keep track on an Excel spreadsheet. I put them in the incubator immediately. I will not turn the shipped eggs until I see the aircells are reattached, it could take 3-7 days. I am also setting two of my own eggs as control eggs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Question? If you check the aircell daily or even at day 3-7 how do you know its reatached and that you arent messing them up just moving them to check? [​IMG]

6. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    You can check the aircells at 3, 5, 7 days. Keep them upright when you check them and only slightly move to see if it is attached. You can do this with them in the carton. Move them very slowly and softly. I personally check mine 3,4,5,6,7. I am tracking their progress very closely and recording it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by