Manufactured Home Blues

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Roy Rooster, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi Fellow BYC Keepers, [​IMG]

I have been apart of this community for a while now and know how wonderful the people on this site are. I have read and responded to
    many posts where others were in need of a little TLC in their lives. Now I am afraid that I am in need a of a little encouragement or support.

Background: We bought a manufactured home a few years ago off the market. We spent many days and weeks
    looking at other site built houses before making our decision. In our price range the homes that we looked at were
    either in bad neighborhoods or in major need of improvements that we did not know how to make or could
    even afford. Living in a small apartment at the time with a young child and one on the way the apartment life
    was no longer anything that we could maintain.

Now we live in a 1,500 sq ft. MH in the country on a large piece of land fixed to a permanent foundation and strapped. There is no crime where we live unless you count
    the occasional raccoon stealing a few meals out of our trash can. [​IMG]

Our home has been virtually maintenance free with few problems. We have even done minor improvements by adding new sinks, faucets,
    and hard floors where carpet was wearing out. I have it decorated like I have always imagined my dream country home being decorated.

My dilemma is this. I am having a hard time dealing with the bad rap that the MH home have. So far it has weathered
    everything that nature has thrown at it including the tornado outbreak of April 2011, proving to be pretty durable.

Does anyone else out there in Backyard Chickensville live in a manufactured home? If so how to you deal with the negative
    opinion formed around these homes? Any encouragement will be more than welcome.

When responding please do not refer to us as trailer trash, that is the connotation that upsets me the most right now.
    Thanks for reading.

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I would trade you my little tiny brick house on no land for your MH in a heartbeat. We live in a house we can barely afford to pay the mortgage. The roof leaks, we have rats in the walls and its horribly drafty. In this market, if you have a home, be proud. Especially if its clean and well maintained. We are looking at buying some land and letting this house go. If we can swing things, we will probably put a MH on the land until we can build our dream home in a few years. Enjoy your little piece of heaven, in whatever it may be. Its yours, you like it, doesnt matter what others think!

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I have seen a fire first hand as a teen in an old-school single wide. In two minutes, no more, it was entirely engulfed end to end, and by the time the fire department half mile away got there, it was melting. The residents were lucky and got out - all but the one was at work/school. Fire freaks me out a bit, so I just want to beg all you out there, no matter the building, have your fire escape plan always thought out ahead of time.

Sorry, never learned to deal with the fact spent a part of life growing up in the trailer park. But your setup sounds very nice. Is the exterior treatment that metal siding or is it worked up with nice roof overhangs and siding details?

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    So, I am not to sure why you are hung up on the opinion of others..............

My background is, moved away from home, into an apartment, then a rental home.

First purchase was a single wide mobile home, the old school kind.

We upgraded, to a manufactured home, and loved it.

Life threw me a curve and I ended up living in an old motor home for a while while I put the pieces back together.

Now I live in a stick built home.

In every case, my home was my home. I made the best of the situation, good bad or ugly.

It is not the structure that matters, it is what you do with it to make it your home.

I would suggest that the bad rap will never go away, it mostly comes those who are more than happy to judge others. Something in their life causes them unhappiness, and they seem to feel better if they can criticize someone or something else.

If I were you, I would embrace it, make it my home, hold my head high, be proud, and just consider the source of the criticism.

Have a great day!

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG] I proudly live in a very old mobile home on 2.46 acres. We, my dear, will still have a roof when all those other peoples homes are foreclosed on. I paid more for my porch and drive way than I did my house. I can do what ever I choose because it is ours. Tell them to stop disrespecting your home! Remind them if it blows away , you get a new home. Ninny nani boo boo! Now hold your head high!

Oh and watch Toby Kieths video TRAILERHOOD. I don't know how to post a link... [​IMG]

Micah

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    First the largest investor and owner of Manufactured Home companies is Warren Buffet. He believes that they are the homes of the future. Now there is a difference between a MH and something like a single wide or a double wide. Even though the single and double wide homes are fine, they have a tendency to look like trailers and are not as well made as MH. Todays MH are as good or better then most stick built homes and I think are the best choice in almost every situation.

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My aunt has a MH. By the time she bought the upgrades and refinished the inside by adding a finished basement and attic, she spent almost as much as we did on a traditional home! It's beautiful inside! I've also seen the ones that have no upgrades and look more like MH's, but I wouldn't refer to any of them as trailer style! Maybe you can play with landscape a bit? Add a nice porch/deck or even a patio garden style entrance. Plant some bushes or a nice tree. Build the ground up around your foundation so it looks more like one of those "all one level patio homes" that sell for so darn much. No matter what be proud that your doing the best for your family and giving them a great home! The people who call names don't matter. I always tell my daughter "If they're so small minded that they need to put others down to feel good about themselves, then they are far more miserable then those words can ever make you!" [​IMG]

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sounds to me like you have a wonderful place!!

I haven't heard anything negative about the MH. I don't know what people say about them. Maybe if they are not put together correctly they can fail, I dunno. Some people think its cheating to have a home you put together rather than build [​IMG]

But, they are nice homes.

Your opinion is the one that counts! You live there, decorated the way you like, weathered out some storms already, so their opinions are false!!

9. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Wow! thank you all for your support and care. I feel better already. Our home was built in 1996, not sure of the manufacturer
    but resembles a lot of the Clayton homes that I have been in. We do have a large cement/brick porch and a slab patio in the back
    of the house. We have a long drive way that is paved which is nice and allows the kids plenty of bike riding room.

We are looking to at some point add a detached garage with an upper room for guests.

You all are right, I cannot listen to the opinion of others. This is the first I have lived in a manufactured home so all I knew about
    them was what the media and the nay sayers have voiced. But given what we had to choose from on the market
    it was the best bet for our money and safety given the neighborhoods the other site built houses were in.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Did not realize that is such negative aurora about MH, if you did not point it out. MH in recent years are rather attractive and well built. If compared to McMansion, MH might seem paltry. You get what you paid for, and I much prefer to live within my means.

I do not live in a MH, but would not mind to do so. House does not make a home, family does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by