Manx Rumpies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilverPhoenix, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Hi everyone! I'm just curious if anyone on the site has Manx Rumpies. If so, I'd love to see some photos! It seems this is a fairly unusual breed--I don't think I've heard a word about them since joining this site. I don't have any pure Manx Rumpies, but I do have two lovely hens who are half Manx Rumpie and half Barred Plymouth Rock. They've just started laying pretty green eggs! One is rumpless, the other isn't, but they have lovely coloring and I like their body shape, too. The man I got my two from said Manx Rumpies are an extremely hardy breed that does well free-ranging.

Anyway, post your Manx Rumpie pictures here! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I'm confused... My manx rumpy didn't have any feathers at all!

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I believe Sandhill Preservation still raises them. The largest breeder of them was the late Albert McGraw. I believe that is where Sandhill got their start from.

David

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Rock N' Faverolles :

I believe Sandhill Preservation still raises them. The largest breeder of them was the late Albert McGraw. I believe that is where Sandhill got their start from.

David

I saw them there too. I think I started a thread about them a long time ago, but didn't get many responses.​

6. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Manx Rumpies?????? Mine all have four legs and say MEOW!

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Wow, it does seem they're a pretty unusual breed, then! Perhaps I should have gotten one of the purebreds the man I got them from had, though I think the purebreds were all roos if I remember correctly. They're an interesting breed, I'd love to see them become more popular. [​IMG] I love my two mixes--they're great birds!

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    This sounds pretty interesting. Whos sandhill preservation? anyone have a link?

9. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Hill Preservation Center website is www.sandhillpreservation.com. They are sold out until 06-15-10. The description in the catalog is: "Very rare breed that lays colorful eggs but difficult to breed. The absence of the tail makes it a challenge to get fertile eggs. They are superb layers, but fertility rate can be very low at times. Rumpless, variable color and comb". Hope this help. [​IMG]

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thank you so much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by