In the Brooder
- Jun 11, 2009
We were given 11 chicks. I have no idea what breed(s), gender or age they are. I'm totally new at raising chicks and I have several questions about their care that I hope someone can answer for me.
Right now they are living indoors. You can see our setup in the attached picture. They are fed 1-2 times a day as needed and twice a day their plastic, newspaper-lined storage tub is cleaned and they are given fresh water. The soda can in the picture is for size reference.
Any advice anyone can give in regard to their current care/setup is appreciated. Additional questions I have are posed below
1) Can anyone tell me how old they think the chicks in the picture are? The soda can is there for size reference.
2) How long will they need the heat lamp?
3) How will I know when they can go outside to live?
4) I live in Utah. though the weather is nice now, it snows in the winter. What do I need to provide for them to keep them from freezing?
5) I don't really care about their breeds unless it will influence the type of care they need, but can anyone help me figure out how to determine their gender?
Thank you for helping me figure all this out!