many bleeding quills on Molting hen- also lethargic weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aggiemae, Dec 3, 2013.

1. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I have copied yesterday's post for back round:

Our otherwise healthy 18 mo old (production) RIR is one of those hens who loosed so many feathers that she in nearly bald so I have been keeping a close eye on her since it has been cold and raining out.

She has loss nearly all the feathers on her back and wings but in the past few days her new quills have finally sprouted and are showing feathers at the tips. This morning she was walking slowly and way down to the ground and when I took a closer look I saw that her lower back was covered with blood so I caught her (she isn't exactly a "lap chicken). This is actually the first time I have handled her since she was a pullet. Anyway, when I looked her over the only injury was a bleed quill tip. I tried finger pressure for about 10 minutes but the bleeds restarted so I finally used styptic powder and compression which stopped the bleeding pretty quickly. She is one of the top hens and my hens don't peck each other But I cleaned her up and found one small raw area at the base of the quill that was bleeding but no other injuries under the blood. There was quite a bit of blood but most of it was well clotted so I think the quill will clot now that the blood flow has stopped.

My concern is her behavior. Since I have her I did do a full head to toe inspection and she looked normal. She can walk normally so there isn't any problem with her feet but she is still mostly walking slowly and close to the ground. I know that I shouldn't expect her to go back to normal immediately I had to let her back out since she was freaking out. I did feed her some warm eggs with a few drops of baby vitamins with iron first but I can't think of anything else to do for her.

That is the story. Here are the questions:

Is it possible that the two problems are not related?

How much blood loss is too much for a chicken?

Is there anything I can or should do next.

Thanks for any help.

TODAY:

Our hen is weaker and quieter today, she is walking low to the ground, like she is squatting, Yesterday she was walking low but able to walk and even run normally. Today she isn't even trying. though it took two of us to corner and catch her. She had multiple broken quills two were bleeding at the tip and the worse on broken at the botton seems to be painful. We stopped the bleeding, put a day of lidocane on the painful spot to numb it a bit. Right now she is resting on a towel in the shower in the kids bathroom. I gave her some tuna which she ate and her usual feed and water, She hasn't touched either. I'll keep her in overnight and If she doesn't drink soon I might force a few CCs.

Any thoughts as to what is going on or what I should do.

2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    I would bring her inside, maybe wrap her up in a towel so that she can't peck the feathers and make them worse.

3. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Also use flour to clot the bleeding

4. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    She isn't pecking herself. I used a styptic powder to stop the bleeding all of it was coming from the tips of her new quills. Just one yesterday but there where four others today. I susspect pecking but on the other hand it seems unlikely that sinceshe doesn't have a single skin break.

She is in set up in the kids shower, Our over indulged (and ungrateful) brats are somewhat put out that they have to shower in the guest bathroom...There where six of us growing up and we had ONE bathroom in the whole house.

All but two of our hens are at some stage of molting, though the wellsummer started laying today and we got three eggs for the first time since late September I have been giving them extra protein mostly fish and today I cooked up some chicken liver , mostly for the bald and bloodied Elizabeak, but I chopped up a few for for the others and they went nuts for it. Apparently my kids and even my husband viewed this as cannibalism I asked them which one wants to bury a hen that bleed to death from molting and they are all feeling more open minded now.

Elizebeak squawked up such a storm when I bought her in yesterday that I finally let her back out. She fussed and squawked while I handled her today but she settled right into the shower. At dark she roosted up on the seat that's built into the corner and she is currently sound asleep,

No sign of new bleeding There is no sing of new bleeding. Is walking low to the ground a "normal" behavior for injured or stressed hens?

5. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    she isn't any better. She was walking a bit more upright so let her outside for a few minutes to see how she would do and she pretty much hid in the bushes by herself. Ten minutes later she was squat walking again. Its 30 degrees out, that's cold for western Oregon, so I bought her back inside. She is in the bathroom with the windows cracked opened so its cool (about 45-50 degrees).

She is eating and drinking, her eyes aren't dull, no sneezing, no discharge, her crop id firm and full. No new bleeding from her quills yet my sense is that she is dying.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Bump. She is getting weaker.

7. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

I assume her crop is emptying and is empty in the morning first thing. ?
    Have you felt her abdomen to see if you can feel an egg ? She may have come back into lay and be egg bound which would cause the squatting. Try soaking her in a warm bath or a little lube in her vent to help her pass it. You might be able to feel it this way too.

Keep up with the vitamins although I think without iron if you can, and extra protein for her feathers is great as you have done.
    Keep her warm quiet and darkish.

I would also weigh her and see if she's loosing weight and if so think about tube feeding her.

Is she wormed ?

Hope this helps
    Best wishes x

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Definetly tube fluids, then fluids and food, but also keep in a warmer place, 80°F would be ideal.

-Kathy

9. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    She is no worse but no better than yesterday. Worms?

The iron and then some liver was a one time thing because she did loose a considerable about of blood from her bleeding quills.

Her crop is filling and emptying normally.

She is eating and drinking normally.

She is two weeks into an extremely heavy molt so it's not an egg.

She has lost some weight but not more than I would expect with a molting (production) hen and no change in weight since I first noticed she was squat walking

I will warm up the room some, and though she is nearly bald, I am not sure this is a good idea since she will have to go out into the freeze when/if she recovers. I shut the window. We keep the house around 68 degrees.

I try to stick with preventives and don't generally worm but I am considering it. I have "Rooster Booster" (hygromycin B and Bactracin Methylene Disalcylate) I have some safe guard but half of our hens are mid molt. I did a fecal float microscopic exam of mixed poop 4-5 weeks ago and it was clear. Could she have gotten a large enough infestation to make her sick in that short a time?

THANKS for the help! Anyone else?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  10. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Need help/advice/suggestions ASAP

It's almost midnight and she sounds like she has a slight wheeze. I treated her with "roosert booster" earlier, it's supposed to treat URI's, When I shut off the lights at 9PM. She was eating, drinking pooping normally and was about as lethargic and stumbling as she was this morning. She is still in the shower stall and sleeping so I will let her rest.. Should I give her antibiotics in the morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by