1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Many questions.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawny2u2, Nov 16, 2009.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    I am new to raising chickens, and all was going well, really well. I have 5 hens that are laying, one just started about 2 weeks ago. Heres the scenario: I collected the eggs (only 3) and turned their light on (getting dark at 4pm) When I went out there to turn the light off, one of the hens was on the floor, picking at something. (This was just on the floor, not anywhere an egg had ever been laid, to my knowledge they only lay eggs in their community nest box) I looked closer, and it was this membrane,pretty thick, thick enough to pick up without it falling apart, with a yolk in it. As if they shell had been stripped off, but no signs of a shell. I do feed them oyster shell. I yelled at her(don't think that affected her) and took it. My questions: Could this be the way the egg was laid? Do they ever move eggs, or did someone lay outside the box? Will she always be an egg eater? If she is eating eggs (only found 2 yesterday) will I find evidence of it, I searched everywhere after I got home from work - found nothing suspect.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Sometimes, they lay the shell-less eggs.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...I'm betting on shell-less egg as well. I don't think this would result in one becoming an egg eater (w/shells). If this "accident" happened while on the roost or wherever, I'd want to check it out too (like the hen did)...lol. But unlike the hen, I wouldn't eat it... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    My guess would be a shell-less egg as well. When ours was first laying she did that a couple of times and we caught her eating it, but she is not an egg-eater.

5. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Thanks, I didn't realize they lay eggs (I use the term loosely) like that, and I guess its only normal they would be curious about it. Appreciate the comebacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by