Many questions!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fussy8, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    I must be a worrier because yet again I have many questions!! To start I think one of our bantam silkies is a ROO and I can post pictures i just need to know how!! Also is there a specific amount of food I should be feeding my chickens or is it a matter of how much they will eat? Then...If I feed my chickens scrambled eggs does it matter where I get the eggs from or do they need to be from the store?!?! I think that is all but I know I will ask more questions later!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I get it with the worrying! Try to relax. Chickens are a joy if you allow yourself to enjoy them.

How old is your suspect silkie? Trust and know that if you post pictures and it's still a young bird you'll get lots of people telling you it's a roo or it's a pullet, but the truth is that silkies are hard to sex and until it crows it's just guessing on our part. I swore up and down my silkie was a girl until one day I saw him getting busy with my sex links. You could post a picture in the "What Breed Or Gender" section of the forum. Just click "Uploads" in the blue bar up above and follow the directions.

Now for food: Feed them free choice. They can't over eat, but they can get dangerously hungry very quickly. Chickens should have food and water available at all times. Eggs are always a good treat and it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they're fresh. If you'd eat them then it's safe to feed them to your chickens.

God Luck and have fun!!!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Here is a link that tells you how to upload pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Just
    like Chew593 said, your chickens should have food available at all times. As far as the eggs, it doesn't matter if they are store bought or if they laid them, as long as you cook them (otherwise they may eat their own eggs after they lay them.).

Stop worrying. There is no need to worry. [​IMG]

4. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks you guys I don't know WHAT I would do without your advise!!!!

5. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're very welcome, and yes, please cook your eggs first. If a chicken gets the taste for raw eggs it can be a very bad thing. Best of luck to you and your flock.

6. ?ZeZo?

?ZeZo? New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    my Easter Egger pullet turned out to be a roo-I was worried about my parents taking him away from me-he and his 2 sisters (1 has passed [​IMG] ) were the first chicks i raised my self! but hey-he isnt aggresvive or loud. he is very nice to his sister. they sleep together and everything-SO CUTE! he crows every other day around 7-he isnt a morning bird! but he is curious about our other hens in the other coop. he is very protective about his sister sometimes. where ever she goes-he goes! also my chicks (easter eggers) dont like eggs or anything! they like meal worm frenzy and sometimes lettuce. my older hens eat EVERYTHING!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by