Maple my miracle chick :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, May 7, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maple, my 4 week old SS, has survived a severe respitory infection/pneumonia! Last Saturday afternoon when I got back from taking my daught to urgent care for strep I noticed my 3 older chicks sitting on top of Maple keeping her warm. My poor Maple was gasping for air eyes closed and didn't move. I'm not really quite sure if this was from impacted crop with pine chips or if she gotten wet when they knocked over the waterer off the blocks.

I should of had her culled, but dh nor I couldn't do it. I held her in a blanket for two days while she lay there gasping, then I put her in the warm brooder with the heat lamp. I know I shouldn't of done that due to being a second set of chicks in there. I took my chances and Maple frequently was under the light. Maple immediately started sneezing every two seconds starting last Monday along with gasping for air. I could feel a fever as she was very hot to the touch. It was a miracle that Maple never lost intrest in food or water. Her feathers have been fluffed out the entire time.

I went out and got antibiotics and poly vi sol vitamins. I use probiotics as well. I've been treating her and the whole flock with everything. I decided to add an extra drop of vitamins inside her beak yesterday to see if there was any improvement. With in an hour Maple had stopped gasping for air and stopped sneezing! A true miracle! I'm not exactly sure if the vitamins helped or if she is getting better. I also decided to give everyone hard boiled egg yolk every couple hours with sand/grit.

Today Maple is chirping and alerting others of noises and constantly foraging for food. She still is not sneezing and she is flying around the brooder. I'm so gratefull she is alive and doing much better. Her feathers are still a tiny bit fluffed. It's been an extremely stressful week with the sick one. No one else got sick, luckily. I'm really surprised she pulled through due to her pine chip eating addiction.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    What a great story, thanks for sharing....[​IMG]

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Sounds like you need some kudos for your hard work...

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] well done! [​IMG]

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Maybe she caught your dd's strep??? I know cats can, dunno about chickens, though. It can definitely cause respiratory infection in children, who knows. Glad she's better!

6. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I think that it is adorable how the other chicks helped her.... [​IMG]
    The story is so cute, and I hope she stays healthy

7. Orchidsilkie

Orchidsilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Awww! Can we see pictures of Maple?!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member