Maple syrup recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by michickenwrangler, Oct 29, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Beyond the pancake ...

While going through our pantry, I came across 2 quarts of maple syrup yet unopened. Our neighbors tap trees and make their own so we always buy a bunch from them in November to last for the year and also for Xmas presents.

I know maple syrup lasts for awhile (they are in quart jars and in the freezer now).

So ... considering I'll be getting my annual 10 quarts fairly soon, I need to use some of this up!

What can I do with it?

BTW, DH will not touch a pork chop if it has anything other than Lawry's Seasoned Salt on it. Do not suggest maple pork chops. [​IMG]

2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I am so jealous! I would love fresh maple syrup from the neighbors!

This is a popular and item around here.

Maple Acorn squash.
    Very easy. Cut in half and clean out 1 acorn squash. Set both sides in a 12x9 pan. Add about 1/2 c maple syrup and a TBS of butter to each half. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until soft. Scoop out and mix a little better. Serve.

Another good recipe:

Maple Sweet Potatoes with Apples

2 large sweet potatoes
    2 green/sour apples

1-2 c maple syrup (I use closer to 2)
    1/2 stick butter

Peel and thinly slice the apple and sweet potatoes. They should be the same thickness. Place them alternately in 3 rows in a 13x9 dish. Melt butter with maple syrup in a pan. Pour over the apples and potatoes. Bake at 350 until potatoes and apples are soft.

Both are Great for Thanksgiving too.

Also

1. Maple butter - great for hot biscuits
    2. Maple apple butter. Got the recipe here from someone. Couldn't find it on short notice.

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    You live in New Hampshire and you don't have local maple syrup??!! [​IMG]

I thought you NH'ers and Vermonters went through that stuff like water.

My relatives from out of state: from Kentucky, Maryland, California, Montana, Arkansas just love the stuff since it is so expensive out of state. My bro in CA said that a 4 oz. bottle of maple syrup costs $8.00. I pay $10 for a quart.

4. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:I'll send you my address and pay the shipping!!!!!!!

5. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Quote:We do and we go through it like water. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But I dont know anyone who makes it themselves anymore. My grandfather was a farmer and got the 'good stuff' trading with another farmer. Never tasted anything like it since. That is what I was lamenting about. The special syrup that you can only get if you know someone who makes it. Most people dont even know it exists.

Same grandfather had another maple recipe - a summertime dessert:

Take a cantelope and cut it in half and clean it out. Put in a big dollop of ice cream in each half. Pour on the maple syrup. Serves 2. Yes, only 2.

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

"Take a cantelope and cut it in half and clean it out. Put in a big dollop of ice cream in each half. Pour on the maple syrup. Serves 2. Yes, only 2."
    My kind of portion![​IMG]
    My neighbor across the road makes and sells maple syrup but I despair of ever tasting real, boiled over a wood fire, syrup again. When I was a kid in New Brunswick they still made it that way there and in Quebec. There is nothing like the smoky flavour of it. I should buy some sap from my neighbour next spring and try it in the back yard but I think it would take a long time of stirring and fire tending to accomplish it. I can dream about it this winter.

7. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Mmmm ... canteloupe ....

There's actually a fair number of local maple sugarers around here. Nearly all the grocery stores and gift shops carry some, from small sample bottles to quarts of it. They're all labeled with the local farms. Most of the stuff around here comes from Glennie, Rose City, St. Helen. We're near Sterling, just above the 44th parallel and most of the woods around here are a nice mix of pines and hardwoods.

Again, I've gotten so spoiled with the real thing, I haven't had the artificial stuff in several years and the last time I had the "maple-flavored corn syrup" that they try to pass off as a pancake topping, my mouth puckered.

8. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Maple nut ice cream!!

I make mine as follows. 1 quart of cream, preferably raw.
    3-4 fresh yolks
    1/2 of honey or Maple syrup
    1/2 tsp of vanilla
    Nuts of fruit of choice

Lightly whip cream to fluff stage.
    Whip in the rest of the ingrediants.
    Freeze by using ice cream freezer,
    or by just pouring the mixture into
    a flat container and freeze.
    No need to stir.

9. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Speaking of raw cream, do your in-laws belong to a cow-share? I think we share the same cows. I saw their last name (although I know others have the same last name) on the list. Just curious.

Right now, I'm drinking coffee flavored with maple syrup and raw cream skimmed off my cow share milk. Not bad.

10. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Speaking of raw cream, do your in-laws belong to a cow-share? I think we share the same cows. I saw their last name (although I know others have the same last name) on the list. Just curious.

Right now, I'm drinking coffee flavored with maple syrup and raw cream skimmed off my cow share milk. Not bad.

Yes, they do belong to a cow share. Likely the same one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by