Maple the crossbeak chick

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi y’all. I got home today and I let my chicks out of the coop and noticed maple (one of my EEs) has cross-beak. I’ve never noticed it before, but she definitely has it. I’ve never had to deal with cross-beak before, but I want to give her the best life possible. I moved her in with my bantams that are 2 days younger because their temporary chicken tractor is closer to the house so I can monitor her better. Do I need to treat her any differently? They have a waterer from TSC and they have a plastic feeder with a scratch guard and a metal feeder with the spinning rod taken off of it. Are these good for her? I really appreciate any help and advice I get from y’all! Thanks! 😊

(I’m getting pictures in a minute)

I haven't personally kept a scissor beak chick, but I read that wetting down the food to make it more of a mash can be a lot easier for them to eat.

Here’s some pictures

Attachments

• 6D20B4A8-7A07-4A7C-BE82-273B34AF9F56.jpeg
    6D20B4A8-7A07-4A7C-BE82-273B34AF9F56.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9C44881D-49F9-42A6-914F-3F171F8304CA.jpeg
    9C44881D-49F9-42A6-914F-3F171F8304CA.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 5
Looks like she's pretty lucky! Her beak is for sure liveable! I suggest having her on a crumble diet in a deep bowl and you can for sure try wetting the food!
I put wet food out once a day and they go crazy for it but maple especially loves it. I give her some time to eat by herself just so I know she gets some and she seems good as of now. I really hope it doesn’t get worse and she lives a long, happy life.

I had an EE with a severe scissor beak and she did great!! She scooped her food from a deep dish and was able to drink the same way. She LOVED what we called "mash" which was wet food with Gerber baby food such as bananas or carrots on top. We never dreamed that she would actually mature and lay eggs!! Unfortunately last summer a bear came in the middle of the day and broke into our coop and killed her, I was devastated! We still had three of her eggs and my husband blew them out for me.

Back
Top Bottom