Mapuche Huastec Thread

Pics

Yashar

New Egg
11 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Oneonta, New York
I decided to open a thread just for this wonderful heritage stock; the Mapuche Huastec!

Here are some picks:

70075_mapuche_huestec_asized.jpg

70075_dsc09851sized.jpg

70075_huestec_hen_1sized.jpg

70075_huestec_5sized.jpg

70075_huestec_mother_of_pearl_mutationsized.jpg

Hey guys I’m glad to know about this site. I’m Paul from Santiago of Chile.
I would like to know what is a ”huastec”

There is tree kind of Mapuche Chicken

Collonca ( without rump)
Ketro (with earring)
Criolla.
All of them lays blue eggs.
Recently I got some hatching eggs from a Collonca han and Ketro rooster. (It is not possible to get hatching eggs from a collonca couple due to the inability to copulate.
I’ll let you know if I have good hatching results.

Attachments

• 317AEB46-C277-4F24-952C-D276D9C2FEDA.jpeg
    317AEB46-C277-4F24-952C-D276D9C2FEDA.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DB97DD60-5FDB-4EAC-93E2-DA30A59D0DE8.jpeg
    DB97DD60-5FDB-4EAC-93E2-DA30A59D0DE8.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7

My photos of Huastec are not as great as they might be- iphone... and that last photo has a Rekhmara rooster in the foreground and a Colloncas of similar colouration behind him.

Huastecs are an ancient breed- not to be confused with Nikkei.

For more information about the breed visit this link. Some of the Nikkei in USA are mixed with Huastec and Nikkei are largely Crested Mapuche. In Chile the Crested Mapuche is called Paco Mapuche.

Huastec lay large brown eggs or pale beige only a few lay white and a few hens with Paco genetics lay blue eggs. They are one of the rarest and most unusual breeds with such a unique history they really work well in most settings as they are very quiet and peaceable. They tend toward monogamy- each rooster has his favorite hen. Roosters are cooperators rather competitors with other males. I run them in braces- generally as many roosters as hens as only one or two hens will be fertile with a single rooster.
If you are interested in ancient heirloom corn, tomatoes and potato varieties and want to continue that thread at your farm- the Huastec is the only true Meso-American breed.
A silky mutation does pop up from time to time and these are exciting as the presence of this mutation emerges with a certain amount of inbreeding. The phenomenon pops up in Cemani mutations as well as in Sumatrans and Nikkei. It's easy to imagine that the silky is responsible for the mutation but actually the silky started somewhere and the Huastec is one of the ancient races that are precursors of the wonderful silky breed. When the Chinese arrived in the "New World" they certainly carried black boned fowl but I don't know that they were actually silkies just yet. One thing that's unique about them is the crow of the rooster. They don't sing cock a doodle do! Rather - there's is " So fresh and so clean!"

Yashar I totally agree with you on the quote below! I raise Icelandic chickens pure also, even though they are alandrace breed, we want to keep them pure Icelandic!!! Lynn in Okla.

And on a side note:
It is critical that people know the difference and the history of these cultural breeds so they don't just become popularized and out of ignorance have their bloodlines destroyed by mixing.

Oh, and they also do very well in extreme cold...

The Huastec is also known as the Mexican Taihe or Mexican Silky, though the actual silken plumage is recessive with only one in ten being feathered like a silky. The Huastec has a unique appearance - the other two ancestral progenitor breeds are the Paco or Crested Mapuche of Chile and the Yapese Quechua.

The Nikkei is a Paco Mapuche with Japanese domestic chicken genes. The Nikkei ancestral progenitors include Jitokko, Japanese White Silky and Paco Mapuche. They are named after the Nikkei people who created them.

Here's a link about the Nikkei...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkei_people

And on a side note:
It is critical that people know the difference and the history of these cultural breeds so they don't just become popularized and out of ignorance have their bloodlines destroyed by mixing.

Another very critical part of raising a land race breed, from any country, is that you do not cull for any certain color or charecteristics, as say you would raising Buckeye or Plymouth Rocks in which all birds must be the same, and follow the APA SOP.
Many I have met since having Icelandics have mentioned which to keep & which to sell/cull?
And so some love the reds, some love just the blues, and after generations this system can cull out the various colors & patterns in a land race fowl breed.

Back
Top Bottom