Maran chick inturned foot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poppy86, Sep 1, 2016.

1. poppy86

poppy86 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Hi

We had a bad batch of eggs. Only one out of 24 hatched. Rest were infertile. So poor Uno is a lone chick!

I've grown fond of it, but cannot seem to cure his inturned foot! I have done a cardboard shoe that straightened his toes out but he still walks on the outside of his foot and leg, so.his hock is on the floor of his sandsheet.

I have put the cardboard shoe back on and added a foam wedge on the side to persuade him to roll his foot in as he walks. He is v unimpressed! My dad thinks he is a lost cause as he isn't growing very much.

Does he need a splint as well?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. poppy86

poppy86 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Anyone? Really could use some help!

3. sroy

sroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Florida
    I really have no clue. But I don't think it would hurt to splint it. Poor little thing. It's very cute. You might end up with a gimpy pet chicken. [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It could be a problem with the leg rather than the foot.
    Slipped tendon.... or the two joints in the leg(don't know the names) ......or the hip joint.

5. poppy86

poppy86 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    He does have a fat hock that side but i thought it was because he was hopping on it.
    I have used matchsticks to make a splint to straighten it. Feel so mean but its that or i have to put him down.

6. poppy86

poppy86 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    He is about four weeks old so I think its a bit late to help him

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, usually leg/foot problems need to be resolved within the first few days to maybe a week.
    I've had to put down several chicks with skeletal leg/foot deformities, it's a Romance meets Reality part of hatching.
    It stinks but better IMO than watching them struggle and suffer.

8. poppy86

poppy86 New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    True. I feel so bad for little guy. We straightened his toes straight away but didnt know his problem was bigger than that.

He doesn't seem in any pain but hops on that hock :-(

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    See the BYC Raising Chicks thread called" Virgin Chick Owner...beginning of the journey" Post number 71. It has some literature cites which may help you.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by