Maran chicks at Big R???????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackydoodledoo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    So I went to Big R on my lunch hour and they have chicks in there and a poster showing all different types of breeds that they could possibly have I guess. They had some chicks that really looked like Marans and they were listed on the poster. I don't think they were though. I know the Australops look a lot similar when chicks. Has anyone seen a retail store carry Maran chicks???

2. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    I've only seen Marans in the small retail stores that also let you order through them.... A store near me had Marans come in but they were sold out by the time I got there.... they did have Welsummers though, and I was able to get 3 of them.

Some of the small stores that order birds will let you order at the "100 chick price" if you're willing to wait till they get enough orders.... I did that last year and got what I wanted by waiting till May to get them.

I doubt Big R will let you order through them, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask... [​IMG]

3. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I don't want to order any. I have 12 Maran babies in the brooder right now and with any luck next year we will be hatching their eggs. I just didn't think a place like Big R would carry a rare breed.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Our local feed store gets their chicks from Welp, and they've had Cuckoo Marans all season so far, but they are always pre-sold, or "on hold". [​IMG]

5. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    These were black or blue copper that they were showing on the poster. Not cuckoos. The poster showed the strain with feathered legs but none of the chicks had feathered legs and that's why I think they are Australops.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Australorps, Jersey Giants, Sex Links, all sorts of black chicks.

Only Meyer Hatchery offers Black Coppers right now, I do think they are feather shanked. Not many people offer clean shanked Black Coppers, thank goodness.

7. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:My BCM didn't develop feathers on her legs until she was 2-3 weeks old. I don't know if this is unusual or not. [​IMG]

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Hmmm....I didn't notice if the cuckoos has feathered shanks or not, since I didn't want any, I didn't really pay attention.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by