1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maran chicks shunning the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayouBumpkin, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BayouBumpkin

BayouBumpkin New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Hello all! I am relatively new to chickens, I have four that I raised successfully last year, and this year I decided to add three French Black Copper Marans to my little hobby flock. I am doing everything the same as I did with the other four, including heat lamp. They are 3 days old now, I brought them home last night. The thing is....they don't seem to "want" to be warm! I have a heat lamp on one end of the brooder with a digital thermometer at chick height. When the thermometer reads 80-85, they are panting and go to the other end. When it's closer to 75, they seem comfortable, not huddling, walking around freely. I learned with the last bunch that they know what's best for themselves, and I let the chicks' body language tell me when they were comfy, which was 90 for the first few days I think. These babies seem to have a completely different internal thermometer. For being 3 days old...is this normal?

2. KurtG

KurtG Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Same bulb? For what it is worth, I have a mixed bunch of Marans chicks (week old). Mine generally shun the heat too, but the darker the chick the more distant they keep. The blue splash stay the closest, then the golden cuckoo, and the blck copper and silver cuckoo stay the farthest from center. I am forgetting the thermometer and raising the lamp.

3. BayouBumpkin

BayouBumpkin New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    That is a good point that I did not even think about...these chicks are almost all black and the four last year only had a little black on them. I feel kinda silly for not thinking of that! You have solved the mystery :) thank you!

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Funny that you guys talking about this, I just got 4 black copper Marans 2 nights ago and they also stays away from the heat lamps in comparison to my Rhode Island reds chicks that sleeps directly under the lamp.

5. BayouBumpkin

BayouBumpkin New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Spartan22 yes it threw me off, it makes sense now but I was worried at first! Now here's to hoping I got a couple hens out of the deal

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    How they're doing now? mine are all doing good, they're slightly on lazy side (not aggressive) still hoping they're hens and new feathers are all shooting out, cant wait till I can integrate them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by