Maran Dark legg= girl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 23, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hey my marans have dark fronts to there legs does that mean they are both girls?

2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Any one

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Marans always have white legs.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my two have a dark stripe down the front though just wondering if it was like what I heard about barred rocks and how the dark stripe in the front of there leg means there girls?

Henry

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they're good quality Marans they'll have white legs....no black stripe down the leg. How old are they? When they start getting their feathers you can tell pretty quickly who's a girl and who's a boy......the roosters are much lighter in color than the pullets.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    they are about 2 1/2 weeks old but they are poor quality from a hatchery if you have pics of a male and females coloring I could probably tell.

thanks

Henry

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Feathersite has some pretty good pictures of a lot of different Marans.

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, hcammack young female Cuckoo Marans have a dark wash down the front of the leg and are generally darker all over. [​IMG]

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    THanks I have girls YaY there feathers are darker to. 4 confimed girls and 4 to go. thats pretty good for 2 1/2 week olds even though these should all be girls.

Henry

10. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Feathersite has chick pictures, as well...you might be able to tell from some of their pics. Congrats on the girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by