maran egg with questions *PICS*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Mar 3, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    got my first cuckoo maran egg today [​IMG] this is the girls first eggs im assuming, they were sold to me as under a year old.. i was expecting real dark eggs from them. i couldnt get the best picture but its definetly darker than my RIR eggs, and speckled. so im wondering, will they get darker as they go? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh and, fertile!! [​IMG]

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Are they hatchery birds or from a breeder line? I have 5 hatchery Marans that lay eggs anywhere from that stippled color like yours to a very dark brown. It varies from day to day. Hatchery lines tend to not lay eggs as dark whereas breeder lines lay consistently dark eggs.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, they won't get much darker. They may get just the tiniest touch darker, but hardly much to note about. Sorry.

4. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    Gotta love her anyways. She laid a nice size egg, at least.

5. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    yes yes, but i did get her from a breeder. o well i guess, maybe the other girl will lay a darker one!

6. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Did the breeder give you a guarantee? It's not a Marans if it doesn't lay at least a #4 egg. I think most Marans breeders would want to know if a bird from their line laid that light of an egg.

7. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    i have heard that they will lay lighter color eggs if stressed. I have some bcm and they just started to lay.
    Very dark choc colored eggs
    i have a rooster and 8 hens -

8. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    this is a cuckoo maran... are they supposed to be as dark as a BCM tho? can anyone send me pics of thier cuckoo maran eggs please?

9. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    not a great pic but heres the girl who dealt it:

[​IMG]

10. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    anybody else want to touch on this subject? or send me pics of your cuckoo maran eggs? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by