1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

maran eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by varmit chicken, Nov 5, 2013.

1. varmit chicken

varmit chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi All
    I just recently bought 3 Maran chickens, and don't know alot about them, can someone tell me about how many eggs they tend to lay a year?
    I have also heard the eggs taste a little sweet, is this true? I can't wait until my first eggs start to come. [​IMG]

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    What type do you have? I have black coppers. Like with all chickens it tends to be more the individual hen not the breed that determines how many eggs a year. I had a BCM that layed nearly every day, and I have had one that layed 2-3 eggs a week. I have not noticed any difference in the taste of the egg compared to other, they just look a lot cooler.[​IMG]

One thing I have noted with marans is the least bit of stress and they take a long break from laying.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    He never told me anything except that they were marans. 2 are all black, and one is black with some coloring on it. :) thank you for your reply.

4. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Probably all black coppers. The females are losing their coppering through the generations.

5. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    Do they lay the dark brown eggs?

6. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Every line is different, but you should get some nice dark eggs.

7. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    wonderful, I am so excited. :) That is what I am hoping. :)

8. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    [​IMG]

Here is two eggs from different black copper marans and a normal brown egg.

9. varmit chicken

Mar 23, 2013
    As you can tell I am new to marans. Do the egg color darken with age, or is the color they lay the color they will always lay?

10. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Usually the color lightens throughout the laying cycle. Laying cycle start with first egg until molt, then molt to molt.

The two I have pictured are from different birds that are the same age. The one will just always lay darker than the other. Its all about genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by