Maran friendliness

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fruit Juice, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Are they kid-friendly and do they tolerate being held? How many eggs do they lay a week? I would also love pics!

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    My Marans are friendly but I don't hold them much. They were the first to take treats from my hand and they don't mind coming close to me when I sit on the ground w/them. They seem pretty calm.

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there

Most of ours are very friendly with the exception of one roo, who despite all my interventions continues to be mean. He will be leaving us as soon as our cockerels mature (one or two months). The hens we have are really sweet.

I have heard some folks say they are skittish and crazy like jackrabbits. NinjaP.[​IMG]

So far we haven't had many mean birds. Just that one dang roo, but the other 50 or so roos we have raised have been sweet.

Handling them helps. My kids pick all the birds up the minute they hatch.

Good luck! There is a lot of info here on Marans. (always spelled with an s at the end, singularly or plural) [​IMG]

4. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    My kids lug the Roos around like puppies, they are very sweet and gentle. Which is a good thing b/c they are about as tall as the youngest. No ones needs nasty giant roosters. My neighbor got some from the feed store, though, and hers attacks people and draws blood from visitors or anyone helping to feed. Needless to say that wouldnt have lasted long in most houses. Our hens area really dear, but do seem a bit more flighty then say some other breeds. When they settle they are great. They have been very loved on by the kids.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Our Cuckoo Marans are very friendly. They are nice and calm and not at all flighty birds. I think it depends on how much they are handled when they are young. Our Cuckoos lay very well and lay a nice size egg.
    What kind are you thinking of getting?
    Good luck!
    Sharon

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    mine will give your their heart and soul for a mealworm [​IMG]

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't make pets out of my chickens so any of my birds which are tame my nature rather than nurture.
    Of the Marans I've had I'd say they are bold, not particularly friendly by nature, but not by any means timid; they are rather outward going in most aspects. Those Marans free ranging will be the first out & down the lane after unlocking in the morn.
    They might be fine for children to carry about if handled from hatch but they wouldn't be my first choice if I were looking for a breed which liked being petted or handled by children.

8. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    I have three young Cuckoo pullets from Little gem hatchery that are very bold with lots of personality.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't make a habit of picking my chickens up, but mine are friendly birds. They come to greet me at the gate. I've never had an aggressive roo out of mine.

10. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    My Black Copper Marans hens are very people friendly and sweet-much more so than my barred rock and easter egger are, but when the roosters matured at around 7 months, they developed a pretty gamey attitude. I wouldn't trust the roosters around children.

Oh, and my 3 BC Marans hens give me at least 2 eggs a day sometimes 3. They are laying very well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by