Maran going blind??

newchickenmommy

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ramsey, MN
I have a chicken that is 'missing' what she is pecking at. Sometimes by several inches. And I am concerned that she is either not seeing well, or there is something else wrong with her.

She is a Cuckoo Maran, we call her Annie. I found her (believe it or not) wandering on the road one day around a year ago, so I don't know how old she is. I took her home to rescue her from being hit by a car, and have never been able to find where she came from. She has always been friendly and not afraid of me at all. I can handle her quite easily. She doesn't even run, she just let's me pick her up. She used to be a terrific laying hen too! She is acting MUCH different now though. She seems 'stupid' (forgive the term) and not like her old self. She is very timid as well and gets picked on a lot. She hasn't laid for a couple months now either. I baby her and am very concerned about her. The last couple days I noticed her pecking at her food but from about 5 - 6 inches away! Like she knows it's there, but can't get to it or can't judge distance! Then this morning I gave her some lettuce and she did the same thing, pecked at it from a distance. At this point she doesn't seem to be losing any weight, but I'm not sure how long this has gone on either.

Very distressing, she is my favorite hen.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
Do her eyes look clear and bright?
Could she have a head injury?
I would bring her inside and put food in a bowl. That might help her to see the food better? Good luck. Maybe someone has some other ideas?

newchickenmommy

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ramsey, MN
I looked at her eyes this afternoon and they look fine. Looks like the others have been going after her tail feathers today though. Poor little thing can't get a break.

Kristian

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Miami, Florida
She is probably really old or is going blind. I think that you should keep her in a smaller chicken coop with less agressive partners or an area were you can keep an eye on her by herself to make sure she is eating, drinking a good amount a day and so that she dosn't get into any trouble running around. Best wishes and I hope that its less serious or something that can be cured or pass over time.

Last edited:

chickletranch

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
A simple test is to bring your fingers very close to her eyes and see if they focus or if she moves her head. We have a blind hen, who became that way gradually. The first thing I noticed is that she was picked on by the others, and would cower in a corner of the pen. She can see light and shadow, but that's all. She lives a normal life, but has to be separately penned with a companion hen.

Best of luck, Lynn

newchickenmommy

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ramsey, MN
Yes, she spends a good deal of time cowering in the corners. I do put her in her own coop at night so she won't get picked on, but I put her in with the population during the day. She really just gets picked in close quarters, so I try not to have her end up in that situation. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to try to put my finger by her eye and see what happens.

Top Bottom