Maran Hens??? Anyone pic of cuckoo and black?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by henmommy, Nov 14, 2009.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I ordered 3 chicks in June that I was told were cuckoo marans. The picked up at by local feed store and I know they order from Privett's Hatchery. 1 of the 3 disappeared, so I have two left. Both look very different from each other. One looks just like a BR but with very yellow legs. The other looks more like a black copper maran without the copper. Legs are more pinkish. I have been getting 1 small dk brown for the last few days, but have not been able to figure out who. The egg is not as dark as I expected. I am questioning what I really have now and am disappointed since I was really wanting the mahogony color eggs. Based on my research, I was not expecting to see eggs until Dec, as they were hatched late June. The pullet that disappeared looked just like the sister that is mostly black. Any thoughts? Does a cuckoo maran look different from a "black" maran? Is there such a thing as a black maran? I have other BR's in my flock, but they are smaller than this new girl that llooks like them. I can add pics if that would helpful. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Cuckoo Marans are not black,no Marans has yellow legs. Sounds like you has some cross breds.
    David

3. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! What color are cuckoo marans? Black and White like a Barred Rock? The other one is mostly black w/pinkish legs and very faint white around the neck.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here is my Cuckoo Marans trio and roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by