Maran Hens?

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
So I read you can tell sex on marans easily. I have two wheaten marans and I think they are hens. I kinda wouldn't mind if one was a rooster. They are about a week or a week and a half old. What do you think?

I think that it is a little young to tell for sure. Wheaten colored birds are easier to tell than many, because the males develop a different color pattern. They are darker, with a black breast. Based on this, I would guess that the one on the left could be a male. But, chicks often change a lot in color as their feathers mature and molt out, so this guess may be wrong. By 6 weeks, you should know for sure.

I think that it is a little young to tell for sure. Wheaten colored birds are easier to tell than many, because the males develop a different color pattern. They are darker, with a black breast. Based on this, I would guess that the one on the left could be a male. But, chicks often change a lot in color as their feathers mature and molt out, so this guess may be wrong. By 6 weeks, you should know for sure.
x2

Oh, ok. What I read was that you could tell by 2 weeks because the males get a black stripe across their wings, while a female comes in brown. That's why I was thinking they were hens. Thanks for the info!

x3

X4 on that.

So they're around 7 weeks old now. From what I understand, they have the coloring of hens, but one has a bigger, pinker comb. So I'm slightly confused. I through in a pic of one of my silkies that are being raised with the marans, just for fun. They are so awkward at this stage, I love it! On a side note, I am almost done with their coop, so soon they will be in a bigger pen.

So they're around 7 weeks old now. From what I understand, they have the coloring of hens, but one has a bigger, pinker comb. So I'm slightly confused. I through in a pic of one of my silkies that are being raised with the marans, just for fun. They are so awkward at this stage, I love it! On a side note, I am almost done with their coop, so soon they will be in a bigger pen.

This one is looking to be your male.

That's the one I'm suspecting. But I thought roos were supposed to have black chests? According to who I got them from they are black tail wheaten marans.

Back
Top Bottom