1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maran or olive egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abbygibson1212, Mar 8, 2015.

1. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    Bought a chick today and the guy I got it from didn't know if she is a splash maran or a splash olive egger. Could someone tell me? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's an Olive Egger. Those greenish legs are a dead giveaway.

3. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    @Michael OShay Okay, I wasn't sure because my black maran has black legs that turn yellow at the toes and this one has green that turns yellow, so I couldn't decide. Do you know how to tell a black maran chick from a black copper maran?

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't think I've ever seen Black Marans chicks. I've seen Black Copper Marans chicks and Cuckoo Marans chicks and can tell them apart. None of the Marans chicks have greenish legs. Easter Eggers on the other hand frequently have greenish legs, and an Olive Egger is an Easter Egger produced by crossing a blue egg layer with a chocolate egg layer (Marans, Welsummer, Barnevelder, etc.). The resulting EEs lay an olive green egg, hence the name, Olive Egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by