Maran possible egg blockage ?? URGENT HELP needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PatriotShar, Nov 19, 2017.

1. PatriotShar

PatriotShar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    If there is already a thread on this I apologize. I'm a newbie at raising chickens AND this site

I have a white maran that is lethargic, wasn't eating or drinking & keeps laying her head to right & closing eyes. She also is not crowing like she did ... a weak crowing now? She is about 4-5 mos old & should have started laying but has not.
    I have another black americanas that should also be laying & is not? I have an older black americanas that WAS laying & just stopped about 6-8 weeks ago now ??

My 1st concern is my white maran. I was told that she may have an egg blocked ? I gave her a warm bath, poured a little oil over her port (which was moving & I could feel something hard around it) & then isolated her in a nesting box w towel draped over entry. I really expected to get up next am & find her dead :( but when I took her out (no egg) & put her in front of food she began eating (bread & apple sauce) & drinking was walking around. When I picked her up ... she didn't feel hard or mushy in her stomach & I didn't feel the hardness in the back. But when I went back she was just sitting on ground w head turned & eyes closed again? I have isolated her becos I had to leave for couple of days. She ate & drank water. When I would ck on her (several times before leaving) she was again head turned & eyes closed on ground. I thought each time she was dead but when I would talk to her she would open her eyes. I'm heading home ... will I find her dead ?? I hope not. But what if she has not passed the egg?

I don't know what else to do & being on fixed income w cancer ... I don't have funds for vet :'(

Also, how does a chicken act when in pain?? I don't want her to suffer ... I may should have put her down before leaving on Fri (today is Sun) but I just couldn't >>> guess I better not try meat chickens ... huh ??!!

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 True BYC Addict

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Where are you located, the stop in laying could be due to the weather changing; shorter days, darker sooner, cooler air. Are they molting? She's not eating/drinking, is she pooping? What are you feeding? How old is the Blk AM? The "older" AM?

See if you can get her to eat some crumbles mixed with plain yogurt, instead of bread, could try some dry cat food wet with some water, scrambled/boiled egg yolk is good too.

Hang in there, others will be peeping in with help.... @casportpony @drumstick diva @oldhenlikesdogs @KikisGirls

3. PatriotShar

Feb 17, 2017
    I'm located in Texas. how long do they molt?
    the older moran is maybe a yr?
    I'm feeding organic laying ... not home right now so not sure of the brand.
    the sick white maran was eating (crumbles & applesauce & rolls) & drinking on Fri after I did a warm sit bath on her. She did start very thin poop on Fri. I have been gone since Fri afternoon ... hope to be home tomorrow afternoon & that she is still alive :'( Will start her on yogurt & egg yolks & ?dry cat food? I get the yogurt & even the egg yolks ... but why cat food??
    thanks for any help &/or advice

Anyone know how to tell when a chicken is in pain??

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your marans does sound sick. I personally don't treat and will cull birds that don't improve so I'm not the right person to give advice on treatment. It can be hard to tell if a chicken is in pain. They generally will shake, though most just sit still.

Older hens will stop laying this time of year to molt. Most resume in December to March.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you use a glove and feel inside her vent with one finger to check for an egg? Try getting her to drink some water from a small cup. If you have Tums or a human calcium tablet, give her one orally or crush it into a small amount of egg or yogurt. Crushed egg shells ground finely would work as well. Place her on a towel in a warm very humid room, such as a bathroom after running a hot shower.
    If she is not eggbound, she could be ill due to some reproductive disorder or organ failure. Make sure that she is drinking water with electrolytes. Offer her some chopped egg or wet chicken feed. Let us know how she is doing in a bit.

ChickNanny13 and PatriotShar like this.
  6. ThenNotSoChickenMaster

ThenNotSoChickenMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2017
    I am so sorry, I read your other thread. It can be hard to raise chickens.

One of my hens started laying at 8 months, maybe your white maran is just having a delay? Also, what do you mean by crowing? Your hen is crowing? I believe hearing some hens can crow, who knows? Hens don't crow well, that might be the case, that or the hen is actually a rooster, maybe that's why 'she' isn't laying? (sorry if I'm getting to the wrong conclusion)

Like ChickNanny13 said
    so that might explain the stop on egg production.

Back to your white maran, wow she sounds sick. I'm also a newbie, so I don't know much about diseases. can you show us a picture of her? One of her comb, her body, and her feet. (sorry

7. PatriotShar

Feb 17, 2017
    thanks ... will try this & post an update

8. PatriotShar

Feb 17, 2017
    maybe crow is wrong word? not like a rooster ... more like clucking
    they all come running & clucking when I come in LOL my cluckers are quite vocal

9. ThenNotSoChickenMaster

ThenNotSoChickenMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2017
    Ahh, I see. You mean squawking? They do a high pitch, constant noise. Like you said, chickens are pretty vocal. They can make different noises. Here, this article explains it more in depth: http://flipflopranch.com/chicken-talk/

PatriotShar likes this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be good to post a picture of the sick girl to get a look at her comb and feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by