Maran pullet can't walk, and when she does she staggers and uses her wings for balance. Whats wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesForEver, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I haven't noticed a change in her behavior. Yesterday I picked her up (to get a clover out of her mouth since it was too long for her swallow) and set her back down. When she started walking, one of her legs "cramped up" and she staggered and squawked then ran into the wall of her brooder. Today, I was watching her, picked her up again, then set her back down and again she staggered but, this time she couldn't walk "right". It was almost like her legs couldn't hold her weight. She had to use her wings as balance. I've heard somewhere that this could be related to Mareks? I hope not.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone?

3. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Can anyone help?

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Does she stand kind of hunched over like a vulture? If so, she could have cocci. (you didn't mention her age but it affects chicks from 6-10 weeks but sometimes a little older).
    If she is laying age it could be related to internal laying or peritonitis (pelvic infection).
    Does she seem to have trouble breathing or have any discharge coming from her nose, or bubbles in the eye? This could indicate infection in the respiratory tract. Any infection could cause them to lose balance if it progresses and they are weak.

1 person likes this.
  5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    No, she doesn't stand hunched. Just seems unbalanced when she walks. When she stands she looks perfectly normal. No bubbly eyes, no discharge from nose and nothing else that is abnormal. Its really puzzling me. I gave her some arnica mixed in water last night and it seems to have helped a bit. But she's still wobbly.

6. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I think this does sound like Marek's. from what I have been reading Marans are quite susceptible to it, I have just lost a BCM to it and she started by showing symptoms like yours.

7. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    How do I treat Marek's?

8. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    You can't. Occasionally and with great care they can pull through, they will always shed it though so they can infect others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by