Maran Roo attacking POOR POLISH!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Sep 12, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've got a 5 month old Cuckoo Maran Rooster who just started crowing. He has been living with 9 -1.8 year old EE hens and 1 - 7 month old Polish (think a hen...but still uncertain...not crowing or laying yet). We separated the two about a month ago...put the Polish in with the 3 month olds. EVERY time we let Polish out to range...CUCKOO roo GUNS for her. I mean he charges her and chases her around grabbing the back of her neck and pecking her. NOW...I know what the neck grabbing is for....but why would he GUN for her. I mean he literally looks like a BULL charging...scratching the ground before he takes off head low to the ground. I've been grabbing him...hanging him upside down...and he calms down. BUT still he keeps charging poor Polish.
    My question is SHOULD I just let him at her? See what happens? Or should I keep stopping the behavior? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow that must be one hot hen. [​IMG]

Seriously I hope she is ok!!! Mean ole bully.

3. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

THANK YOU for that laugh...I needed that!!

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Either a target or a mate. Hard to tell since you can't tell the sex of the Polish. When the cockerels are young, just learning to breed, they are very rough. I had a few that just destroyed my pullets necks when learning. It was bloody and I wanted my hens to be a calm, laying flock. Sooooo Some went to the processor, some I did in myself. The one roo I kept was a little more gentle, and more of a watchdog than an aggressor. Roos usually get easier on the girls as they grow older, though. As for the gunning, he may just not like her. My whole flock was like that with my Turkens. I just rehomed my Turkens today because of it.

As for a target, I would seperate them. Males will fight. It is their nature. If the Polish is a roo, you may have territory/flock issues. The CM may not want to share his ladies. Can you blame him?

5. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...here are photos of the two LOVE BIRDS!! Or do we have gender issues?? LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW, that one with Jimi Hendrix hair is BEAUTIFUL!

7. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing...he is NOT like this with the other hens...only when Polish comes out!! CM is so wonderful with the hens...he holds sentry and I would consider keeping them separate from now on. He has a favorite already...watches out for her and roosts next to her. He really is doing his job in taking care of the girls...I'm pleased with this. Just wish he would get along with Polish!! Polish is as gentle as a lamb...kids favorite....so the maran would have to go.

However....I have been having a craving for Chicken and Dumplings!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by