Maran Roo's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MamaHen18, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    are Maran Roosters loud?
    and how is their temperment.

we are looking for a quiet rooster for our flock, but i really want a maran (be it a roo or a hen)
    but i dont know any thing about Marans (except for the fact that they lay beautiful eggs)

can any one help?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Depends on if you're talking hatchery Cuckoo Marans or French Marans, like Black Coppers or Wheaties or other. [​IMG]

If you want a calm, friendly, laid-back sweetie who doesn't crow too much but carries the genes for DARK eggs, go for the French type, such as Black Copper, Blue Copper, Wheaten, or Blue Wheaten Marans. I always recommend them. The thing is, they're not too common though, but, looking for one is worth it.

3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383387&p=1861

You
    should check out the Marans thread. There's a ton of information there. I don't know of any Roos that are quiet but all my boys are friendly and beautiful. Like Illia said, there are quite a few different color lines and you have to decide which you like best. Though if you're going for the dark egg color, typically but not assuredly, the black copper Marans tend to lay the darkest. And it's MaranS with an s always as they were named after the port town of Marans in France [​IMG]

4. MamaHen18

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    Quote:thank you very much [​IMG]
    a french maran sounds great and the wheaten marans are gorgeous !

5. MamaHen18

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    Quote:thank you very much [​IMG]
    then i think i'll go with the Black copper, they are beautiful as well as the wheatens [​IMG]

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Hmmm, I have Black and Blue Coppers, and I have sweet roos, and I have two mean roos. All have been handled and raised the same way. As for being quiet?? Mine ALL crow ALL day long! There are mean roos in every breed that crop up. These are headed for the stew pot when the weather cools down!

7. MamaHen18

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    Quote:thanks
    i think ill just get a hen for now then.
    and what does "crop up" mean? this flock is my first, and im still learning the terms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by