Maran with Strange Foot Deformity- what is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanFarmerGirl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Today I went to a local breeder who is known for having excellent quality stock, planning to pick up a Black Copper Maran to add to our backyard flock. I picked out my pullet, and she offered to throw in a second pullet for half price. Since we won't be breeding them and she was a friendly bird we decided to give her a nice home. "Toesie" has a foot deformity, but I can't remember what the seller called it. I have been searching to find out more information. Her toes are not simply bent. It only affects one foot- and when viewed from above it appears the skin on her foot is webbed and connected. In one spot it almost looks like an extra toenail is just growing out of webbing.

She is friendly and easy to handle, and walks just fine.

Here are some pics- has anyone seen this before, or does anyone know what it is called? Also, will a bird with this type of issue be more likely to have other problems, or should I expect her to be a normal healthy layer? Thanks!

Toesie:
    [​IMG]

Foot from Above:
    [​IMG]

Foot from Below:
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    fused toes. Hereditary trait, should not be used for breeding, but fine for laying flock.

4. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by