maran?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Littlecimarron18, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    k so i thought this chicken was sick when its feathers werent growing right, but i saw some pics of marans.
    If it is a maran is it a hen or roo?
    ( i know its not the best pic but it wouldnt hold still lol)

[​IMG]

2. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Which one? The front one looks like a roo from the tail feathers. I don't have much experience though. With my leghorns, the roo's tail had pointier, slightly twisted feathers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Cuckoo Maran roosters are much lighter. If it is a rooster, it is not a Maran.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    If its legs are white its a maran's If its legs are yellow its a barred rock.
    henry

5. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    hmmmm kk. ummmm im pretty sure i have a pic of their feet compared, the farther one is a barred rock but im not sure about the one with the weird tail.. ill post feet pic in the morning, photobucket is slow....

6. hb

hb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    SF Bay Area, California
    Your "girl" looks like my girl. I will try to post some pics when I find the right cable. My "maran" has white legs with a tinge of a grey stripe running down the front of the legs. Her feathers look blurry, not so well defined as the Barred Rock. She is really big, and was a late bloomer, compared to other chickens. She lays brown eggs, but not super dark brown eggs, which has me wondering if she's a true Maran. Also, I read that Marans are broody, and she's not like sitting on her eggs even. Her ears are red, but then there's like a small white dot on her ears. Again, I will try to post some picks, because I'm in the same boat as you. Let's figure out who these girls really are!

7. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Good deal. she is definately bigger and more clumsy looking than my barred rocks
    here is a pic of her feet.

[​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My cuckoo marans (not maran) look similar. The males are several shades lighter when against the females. My pullets are the very largest of my pullets. They are larger than my jersey giants and my barred rocks. They are also more dominant than any other of the pullets. They lead the pecking order. One tell tale sign is the feet. The pinky white with the slate wash is marans. Barred Rocks have yellow feet.

Here is a photo of Lafayette, a cuckoo marans cockeral, age 9 months, from McMurray Hatchery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey thanks a bunch, = )

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    hey little. Your hen has the wrong leg color and some odd feather traits to be full maran. Probably a cross from the hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by