Maranaucana, boy or girl? *Pics are up*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LuvMyBLR, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    So, a few weeks ago I got a GORGEOUS Maran/Araucana mix, sold to me as a pullet. But now, "Sweet Pea" has tiny little rose-thorn spurs! some hens have spurs too, I know. But She's rumpless! hahahaha so I'm not sure if it would get saddle feathers and such. so, how do you tell YOUR young rumpless birds apart?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    can you post any pics, would love to see!

3. LuvMyBLR

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Sure! It'll just have to be later tonight though lol. I'll get home from work about 6:30, post around 7! I want to get a nice, recent pic. [​IMG] Thanks for responding!

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Rumpless birds do get saddle feathers. The feathers just don't part to either side of the tail but hang straight down like half a hula skirt.

5. LuvMyBLR

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Quote:Sorry i'm horrible at putting thoughts into words. What I meant was it would be harder for me to tell, because I wouldn't be able to see the feather immediately go to the sides. But you're right of course [​IMG] I know they get saddle feathers. Sorry!

6. LuvMyBLR

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Okay here are pics I JUST got! I didn't get home till 8 last night and then we built an amazing brooder! So I couldn't do it last night. Here ya go! Oh and don't be fooled by her funny barring on her back. The feathers are round (for now).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Itty bitty spurs.... yes those are crocs in the background! I went out right away lol.
    [​IMG]

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    He will get saddle feathers. I personally think rumpless roos are much prettier than tailed roos. I hope you think so too, cause thats a boy in my humble opinion.

Lanae

8. LuvMyBLR

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Quote:The problem isn't it being a roo itself... I just can't have any more roos! So if it turns out to be, I'll be heartbroken because he'll have to go [​IMG]

Trust me, if I could have roos and it turned out to be a roo, I would be thrilled!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by