Marans, Amaraucanas, Barnevelders, RIRs, and Welsummers...Opinions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Draconargentum, May 8, 2008.

1. Draconargentum

Draconargentum Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Hey, all. Still fairly new to this whole chicken thing: pretty much just planning right now for when I get my own place, so everything I "know" works only from theory. So, thought I'd ask expert opinions from you guys who have experience. Really what I'd like to have is a variety with lots of interesting colors (Thus the marans/welsummer/barnevelder; dark eggs intrigue me). So, does anyone have information to share on the production rates, temperaments, quirks, or just random fun knowledge of any of the breeds in the thread title? Pictures are also loved, whether they be of roos, hens, chicks, eggs or anything in-between. Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks for your time, y'all! ^_^

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I only have cuckoo marans but I love them. They lay great big eggs from the beginning and are stady layers. They also make great broodies. I have 1 with 6 chicks,1 hatching as we speak and 1 with 2 weeks to go. They are large and calm.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I love my Marans, but mine after their first year of laying like to go broody more than lay!! Both hens and roos are laid back and I've never had an aggressive roo. I like my welsummers and they are more steady layers for me, but they aren't quite as laid back. I like RIRs for their laying, but I've had a couple of nasty roos.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my maran hens lays fairly well they are also very sweet and lay pretty dark eggs for hatchery stock.

Henry

5. Draconargentum

Draconargentum Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Well, there's a question: I know that the Marans breed has different colorings...Does that have any bearing on how each strain bird acts in general (ex, like how black Penedesencas are allegedly even more flighty than their wheaten counterparts) or no?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

For the last 6 years I've only had the cuckoos....now I've got some younger stock that is just starting to lay or will be in the next few months. I too will be curious to see if the other kinds of Marans go broody like my others.

7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Although pretty, if we have an egg eating problem going on, I normally find yolk on the beak of a RIR. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I ordered straight run Cuckoo Marans and got 3 roosters. They are all the biggest of the bunch and quite feisty. My alpha roo, Jean Robert, is also very smart, lots of eye contact, and curious. The others are just wannabes [​IMG]

I would love to get some Welsummers next year, though.

I have Ameraucanas. They are GORGEOUS birds with interesting sounds and temperments. You can't go wrong with those.

I'm not a RIR fan.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have been thinking about Barnevelders as my next breed of bird when I get more than what I have coming now. I have some of the EE (Ameraucanas supposedly) and Welsummers on order and am looking forward to those being some great hens and roos. And the eggs are are big hopeful on beauty!
    But I saw a website with some gorgeous Barnevelders on it and started drooling. [​IMG]

10. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

EE's and Ameraucanas are great. Nice personaliites,lots of different color combo's. Muffs and beards and generally curious, talkative and lay beautiful blue and green eggs.
    I just started w/ Marans and Barnevelders this year so I can't say much about them yet in the egg department. Mine are about 3-4 weeks old now and the Marans are definitly layed back (well two out of the three are [​IMG] ). The Barnevelders are pretty active, curious and fiesty. Beautiful tail feathers already that they hold high and fanned out even at their young age. They are at their awkward [​IMG] not so pretty age right now but I see the potential for some really pretty adult birds. I'm pretty excited to see how they grow up and am looking forward to some really nice terra cotta colored eggs.
    Good luck on your choices! I also have 3 Dark Brahmas in the lot & they are the sweetest, cutest fluff butts, though we got them not for the eggs they will produce but just for the novelty & I think I have fallen in looovve with those cuties, oh my!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by