Marans and Araucanas -- Living and Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DHuberman, May 23, 2010.

1. DHuberman

DHuberman New Egg

May 23, 2010
    Pasadena
    Anyone know how long Marans and Araucanas typically live/lay?

I love colored eggs and am trying to figure out how many of each I need to have and at what intervals I need by acquire additional birds to maintain a supply of 24 eggs per week. I plan on keeping all my birds for as long as they live so I need to understand what my peak population is going to be.

Thanks!!!

P.S. Does anyone know of any charts/graphs that show the egg production over time of various breeds... It would be a very handy tool for planning coop capacity!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Okay I'm not for sure but I have heard chickens live up to 15 yrs, and can produce most of that time. However peak egg lying is up to 2 or 3 yrs. After that they drop off alittle each yr. After two or three yrs, except about one egg every two or three days from the hens.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have both types and mine hasn't layed well from the start. They are two years old now. I guess I would have expected the Maran to lay better, however I hardly see any eggs from her. I have had red rocks and my hens laid well until they turned 5.5yrs old and and then down to not much. I have one left, she hasn't laid in quite some time.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 1 Aracauna 3yr old hen, laying 1 olive green egg every day & 1 Black Astralorp11-month old hen, normally lays 1 brown egg daily; she's just hatched out 3 chicks in April, and has been on the egg-laying vacation.[​IMG] Both roo & I are a bit frustrated!

5. chicksnchooks

chicksnchooks Chicken Little I am

Apr 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by