Marans and barred rocks. Pics added.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grasjm36, Jan 2, 2011.

1. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Hi all,

I bought the rainbow package from mcmurray and the pullets are 10 weeks old. I have quite a few barred rocks and then one quite petite pullet with slightly different markings that I had originally thought was a barred rock. Her head is dark dark gray along with her tail feathers. Her barring is more black and dark gray rather than the typical slivery/white of barred rocks and is sort of blurred. Could this be a maran? I have no experience with that breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are terrible. I tried...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Blurred Barring is a description of the Cuckoo pattern so it sounds like she is a Marans. Does she have white legs ?

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    A pic would help. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sometimes a difference in barring is actually male vs female. Look at the legs to really tell. Marans have white/pink colored legs, Barred Rocks have yellow. (although hatchery quality ones have gray, too)

5. grasjm36

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Thanks everyone, I will try and get a pic tomorrow and a good look at her legs. She's (hes!?) a fast one! [​IMG]

6. grasjm36

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    I added some pics, I'm sorry for the poor quality. She is one of the few that HATES to be held. The picture quality lightens the color of her plumage.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said before, pink/white legs and feet = cuckoo Marans. yellow = Barred Rock.

From the photos they look yellow, but your eyes are the final decider. [​IMG]

8. grasjm36

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    They are pretty yellow.... with a wee bit of gray on top... [​IMG] I was really hoping for a maran!! I can not figure out my 'rare exotic' chick in this order. Gotta love those mysteries!!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    To be honest with you, McMurray's "Rainbow Assortment" is anything but that. In 90% of all cases I see of people asking about their chicks from the assortment, one is lucky to have an Easter Egger, and never has a Marans. . . So, they just are left with brown and white eggs. Some rainbow. And if McMurray meant a rainbow of chickens,well, they don't offer much of a rainbow. Just standard, common breeds. [​IMG] Sorry for the raint. [​IMG]

10. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Barred rock. She's still young, her barring will/should get better as she ages

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by