Marans and Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ellie, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I can barely tell them apart.

Here they are at 4.5 weeks old. What do you think? You could even tell me which is which. I could tell before because the Marans had a white line over the eye. Not so much now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The last pic is your Cochin. Yellowish legs. Marans have whitish legs/skin (under the dark overlay)

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Anyone want to guess which gender I have going?

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I agree with speckled hen. My guess as to gender.....dunno.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:My guess (by history, not by the pictures) is all pullets ..... because you always have all the luck and get all the girls ..... and I get all the boys! [​IMG]

6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:my guess on gender is both roos, only on the slow feathering though. Hardly any comb or waddle showing, so could go either way at this point.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know, looking at the pics again, they both have that long-legged cockerel look. That would be a first, huh, Ellie?

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the little tykes. Not having had Marans or this kind of Cochin before, I don't have a clue as to how they look at each stage.

I took two more today. One has a comb that is larger than the other. I keep trying to get better pictures but Mama doesn't really like it, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by