Marans - are they all boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sandh72, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sandh72

sandh72 In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I have 4 maran chicks about 6 weeks old - 1 white (I think, or possibly silver?) and the other 3 cuckoo. I think the white one is definitely a boy, but are the cuckoos all boys too? How do I tell (other than wait until they crow!)? On the cuckoos the comb is much smaller and less red than the white, but that's not really any comparison. When they hatched we thought that there were 2 boys and a girl as one was a much darker colour, and we had understood that girls were darker, but they all look the same now! If there is a girlie in there please can someone explain how I spot it so that I know for next time? All advice gratefully received!

1. The white one
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cuckoo 1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Cuckoo 2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Cuckoo 3
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'd love at least one of them to be a girl but I rather suspect it's a job lot of boys! What do you think?

2. Raen

Raen Songster

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry, I think they're all boys, too. Really thick legs for that age.

3. Michie

Michie Chirping

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am not good at this but just from the Marans I hatched @ 6wks, I would say you do have some girls. My boys started growing combs super fast, also when I took pics to show the breeder who sent the eggs, she knew at birth the gender by the coloration of the legs or something like that-IDK I am sorry I am not much help! My fingers are crossed for some girls!!! [​IMG] Hopefully someone whos great with Marans can be more help!!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They look like all boys, the number one and 3 are screaming cockerals, hands down.

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i think you have 1 cockeral and 3 pullets.
    in the cuckoo variety,the pullets are much darker than the males(just like in barred rocks).i have 5 pullets the same age as yours and they are dark.

6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Songster

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I have hatched Marans 3 years in a row now. Every single one has been a cockerel! Hopefully that will even out with someone else having an all-girl hatch. Sorry I can't help; I've never had a pullet to compare!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by