Marans...average laying age?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunChick, Oct 6, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    What is the average beginning laying age of the Marans? I have some cuckoo marans and havent seen an egg yet. I hatched them out at the end of March. My foot is tapping away...tap tap tap! Gosh I remember going through this with my RIRs! At least they have started laying again! They are starting to develop some pretty red combs and wattles so I guess they must be close!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My marans pullets I hatched the end of April just started laying this past week. I don't remember how old their mothers were when they started.

3. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    GROAN! I guess our weather of late may be playing a factor, lots of rain, lots of flooding.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have 2 marans and i don't think they are laying yet, they are 22 weeks. Most of the others are laying except for my leghorns but i heard they take awhile too.

5. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    My cuckoo Marans that I got from Meyer were shipped to me in Mid March. By Mid August, they were laying their first eggs.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Most of the time mine will start between 5 and 6 months.I have several at that age now and I think only a few are laying. The Summer was so hot and dry and now all of a sudden the weather changed and seems to change daily.

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    does any one have pictures of their hatchery marans egg color?

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    The two in the middle are for contrast- a regular brown and a white
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by