Marans Chick with HUGE Blister. *PICS*

denasfarm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama!!
First of all it pipped at the wrong end of the egg and tried to zip longways around the egg. We decided to help it out and found this...

Just Hatched
SANY9142.jpg

Sorta dry
SANY9143.jpg

A few minutes ago
SANY9161.jpg

The "blister" is mushy and water filled. Everything under it feel normal and the chick is acting like a normal chicklet.
Should I lance it or would that introduce bacteria?
Better to wait and see?

I would leave it alone. That is where the yoke is sucked into the body, so maybe this chick didnt get it absorbed yet. Or could possibly be a mushy belly baby, which I have personally never seen. In either case, give the chick a few days to see if he absorbs it into his body.
smile.png

Nope its not the yolk nor the belly. Its on the Top of the right leg.
Belly button looks great and totally normal.
This is just skin with liquid under it...like big saggy blister. Has veins and everything.

Oh OK. I have never seen anything like it. I would still not lance it. Hopefully someone else will come along with advice.

ETA: If he was situated like that in the egg, its probably the spot where he got kinda smooshed to the shell. He will probably , "hopefully" improve.

Last edited:
OK, I don't know the answer, but I am going to chime in here and tell you what I would do if I had no one to tell me what to do, as in no computer to come to Backyard chickens.

I would use a sterile needle, small guage and suck out some or most of the liquid.

It doesn't look like albumin if it is attached to the leg, and it doesn't look like any abumin I have ever seen.

Post op; I would keep chick slightly separated from others so they don't peck at his/her lesion. I would expect it to take a day or so to absorb that much flesh back into the body. Then I ask myself if you will need to lance and remove the
"Waterbag" itself eventually. To keep a chick isolated yet with the others I have put it in a small fish bowl in the brooder. Be sure it has it's own source of water, such as from the cap of a medicine bottle, and some food on the floor to peck at.

Someone else chime in. Does the chick need special vitamins or antibiotics?

Last edited:
I too would use a syringe and drain the fluid from it since you said it's over the leg area. It would take a long time to absorb that much liquid into the body and in the meantime it would have a hard time getting around and one of the others could peck it or it could tear it trying to get around.

Never hurts to give a chick Poly-Vi-Sol (liquid baby vitamin/supplements). Then just give it time and see if it heals.

Thinking about your chick...

If you are aggressive with it and it doesn't make it, you have lost nothing. If the chick dies it is one that would have been culled anyway, and you can benifit us by sharing the results. Your pictures are great.

On the other hand you can think the same way, you could just watch and see. Seems like you have some good/ good choices to make. How is the chick today?

I had one of these last hatch. Which was 4-5 weeks ago and it is fine. We put it in with the rest of the hatch in the brooder. Today i couldn't even tell you which one it is. No problems.

Natalie

Do you think that it stuck to the shell on that side for some reason?

I dont have any needles. I will have to go to the vet and see if I can get one today so I can drain it. I cant afford to pay them to do it.

It seems to be thriving. Running around all normal eating, pooping and napping. I am keeping it with the Silkies that hatched yesterday instead of the big group of Marans and EEs. They are ignoring it and being Silkie snobs.

The spot looks the same size as yesterday but the skin seems to be less tranparent. More like a Turkens neck would look with normal tough skin, in no way a flimsey blister.

I will get a new pic in a little while for you.

Leave it alone for now. I had one w/ a big fluid-filled cyst on her shoulder when she was born and w/in a week it had been absorbed and she was fine. As long as he can get around & eat and drink I would leave it for now.

Back
Top Bottom