Marans chick with large abdomen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystalchik, Jan 19, 2009.

1. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hello, I invested in 8 Black Copper Marans chicks and on of the chicks seems to have a very abnormally large abdomen. It almost seems like she has an 8-Ball in there. It bulges past her little tail and is very low to the ground, while the others are not. She feels very heavy and looks like she has to breathe a little harder.
    I remember when I was picking out the chicks that I said to myself "oh, that's a chubby one!" but disregarded it because I was told they were only a day or so and figured she might just still have some yolk.
    What do you think?
    Thank you
    Crystalchik

2. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Please help! She is starting to cry now, and though i dont think I can do anything for her, I want an idea on what is wrong her. This is so sad!

3. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Is she pooping normally?

4. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    I am not sure, I will seperate her from the others for a while... See, that is what I was thinking but wouldnt she have been dead a long time ago. she is about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Perhaps she has not fully absorbed her yolk. Though at 2 weeks that's probably not teh case...

6. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    If her vent doesn't looked blocked, I don't know what it could be.
    Hopefully an expert will come along soon........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by